Asparagus Soup

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

It seems such a shame to throw away the end bit I snap off and I am now keeping them in the freezer.Has anyone got a good recipe using these bits?

Thanks
Beryl
Tigger
KG Regular

I'd use the usual soup base of onions, butter and olive oil. Then add the asparagus stalks together with a few potatoes as a base. You could add any other veg., such as carrots. peas or leeks.

Chicken carcass for stock, seasoning and water.

Remove bones.

Blend.

Add cream or other dairy products.

If you want a really fine mix, sieve it. Otherwise, add croutons or veg texture such as asparagus tips, peas, herbs.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you Tiger, I was a bit worried the stalks would be woody but as you say seived or put through the blender perhaps shouldn't be a problem. Always have plenty of chicken stock made in the freezer so I will get to it.

Many thanks.
Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes Beryl, we've been making asparagus soup from these end bits for ages. We find we really need the ends from a couple of bunches to make about a pint of soup. Save the asparagus water in which you cooked it in a bowl in the fridge until needed if you don't have any chicken stock.

Slice the asparagus ends finely lengthways.
Chop up a little onion.
Fry the asparagus ends & onion in a little butter until soft & mushy.
Add the asparagus water or some chicken stock to measure about a pint (or a little more if you have lots of ends). Simmer for 10 minutes.
Whizz the mixture with a blender stick.
Pour through a metal sieve to remove the fibres. Freezes well in plastic milk bottles.

We make peapod soup in exactly the same way but there's no reason why you can't combined the asparagus and peapods as both make a delightfully light summer soup. You can also grate in a little potato if you want a thicker soup.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you Primrose, I am really accumulating quite a lot of 'ends' now which I've been storing in the freezer till I have time to make the soup.
My asparagus on the lottie like most is cropping really well this year and it does seem a shame to throw these bits away. Your recipe sounds so easy. I intend to make the most of all of it.

Thanks again.

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

We like to take advantage of the asparagus season as it's so short and have got about 4 pints of soup in the freezer. It's lovely to dig it out in the middle of winter when you want a reminder of summer days.
Beryl
KG Regular

Just what I plan to do Primrose, make a change from the tomato I always do.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic