Teisen winwns (or if you're in North Wales, Cacen nionod)

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

Otherwise - Welsh Onion Cake.

1 kilo firm potatoes
500g chopped onions
125-150g Welsh butter
salt and pepper

Peel the potatoes. Slice them paper-thin.
Line a cake tin, grease with buttered paper then line with greaseproof, to make turning out easier.
Layer the potatoes, then bits of butter, seasoning, then a layer of onion. Repeat finishing with a layer of potatoes brushed with melted butter.
Bake for 1 hour 200C 400F covered with foil.
For the last 10-15 mins remove foil so the potatoes will brown.

The cooking time will depend on how waxy or floury the potatoes are and how thinly they are sliced: use a food processor or mandolin (if you have one) to make paper thin slices.

Specially good with a green salad and a few good quality pork sausages.

If you don't want to use a cake tin and turn the cake out, you can cook it in a glass or metal dish and serve directly from that.
John
KG Regular

Hello Alan
Sorry to change topic but do you have a really good recipe and method for welsh cakes.
Diolch
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
DiG
KG Regular

Hi Alan, re the Welsh Onion Cake; I often cook something very similar as a supper dish with added chopped and lightly fried bacon in the onion layer and some very finely sliced celeriac mixed with the potato.

John, I don't know how Alan would view this recipe for Welsh Cakes but they are always requested when my son and grandsons visit.

http://www.welshgriddles.co.uk/welsh_cakes.htm

Diane
alan refail
KG Regular

DiG wrote:John, I don't know how Alan would view this recipe for Welsh Cakes but they are always requested when my son and grandsons visit.
Diane

Looks spot-on to me. It's almost identical to the recipe for Cacenni cri Dâm Margaret (Dame Margaret Lloyd George's Welsh cakes) - I take the recipe as locally authentic as the Lloyd Georges lived just down the road from here.

1 lb flour
6 oz Welsh salted butter
1 egg
a few currants
sugar to taste
a little milk to mix
1 teaspoonful of baking powder and as much bicarbonate of soda as a sixpenny piece will hold

Mix the baking powder and bicarb on your hand, then add to the flour. Rub in the butter. Add the currants and sugar to taste. Beat the egg into the milk then beat well into the flour mixture. Roll out thinly and bake on a greased griddle

Make a pile of cakes with more butter between each and on top.
John
KG Regular

Thank you Alan and DiG. I'll give them a try. As we live on the Welsh border they are widely sold round here but the homemade ones we buy at local sales always taste much better. Now where did I put the skillet?
How thick do you roll out the mixture before cutting? I see SR flour is used so do they rise very much?

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic