Vegetarian "shepherds" Pie

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

I have adapted this recipe from a low gi recipe book. We love it and it uses all our veggies and is really tasty.

Chop a mixture of veggies anything you like,(courgettes, peppers, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, celery, leeks anything at all really, but make sure they are chopped small and about the same size so they cook evenly.
Add a couple of garlic cloves, cook in a frying pan until softened, it depends what veg you use as to how long it takes.

In another saucepan cook 180g Puy or green lentils in 750mls water for 20 - 30 mins or until soft, drain and set aside.

When the veggies are almost cooked add 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes, 300g curly kale, 2tsp cajun seasoning or to taste, and salt, cook, stirring occasionally for 10 mins or until the kale is just tender. Stir in the lentils and 1 x 400g can red kidney beans, (drained and rinsed) check the seasoning.

Spoon the mix into baking dishes, we make enough for several meals top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle cheese over, bake in the oven Gas 5, 190deg C for 20mins until brown and bubbling. It freezes very well.

My OH likes me to put baked beans on the top of the mix before adding the mash (dont ask me why) :roll:
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've printed off both your recipes, thank you, they sound delicious and I can't wait to try them.
Catherine
KG Regular

Thanks Plumpudding let me know how you go on with them. Tonight is our wedding anniversary and I am making vegetarian pizzas, tomorrow I am making Delia's roast vegetable lasagne which we had in Italy last year. We booked a holiday accommadation where they provided the first nights meal at a cost of 20 E each. But it was fantastic. It started with a mixed bean salad, rocket salad and the Delia roast veggie lasagne, then a lovely sweet, and fruit. I have been making it ever since.

If you dont have Delias vegetarian recipe book, or can't find the recipe on the internet, I will post the recipe over the weekend. We really love this one. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic