Need an aromatic winter warmer?

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

I saw this recipe on the internet (sorry don't have the author's details). Having made it a couple of times, it's become a family favourite. I adapted it a bit, so here's my version.

If you like it, have questions or want to suggest improvements, please let me know :)

This recipe takes inspiration from Thailand, with the addition of chillies, spices and coconut cream. You don’t however want these flavours to dominate. They blend in the background and allow the natural sweetness of the squash to shine through. Though some of the ingredients may sound exotic, many larger Sainsburys or Tescos will sell most of them. The secret to success is the squash and if you still have any of your own left, they'll be great.

Ingredients:
    - A squash (butternut will do, but ideally a Crown Prince or other large variety)
    Pumpkin is definitely only a second best option
    - 4 Shallots or 1 large onion
    - One or two fresh red chillies
    - Clove of garlic
    - An inch or so of fresh ginger (1 tsp dried ginger can be substituted)
    - Fish sauce (Soya sauce can be substituted)
    - Half a can of coconut milk (or can be bought in small cans from some stores now)
    - 400ml Stock
    - Lime juice

The flavour of squash really develops when you roast it. The best approach is to cut some segments from the squash (e.g. like from an orange, but no need to peel initially). Take care doing this – you will need a fairly large knife and a steady hand as they usually have quite a tough skin.

For this recipe to serve two, I’d use 4-6 segments at least 3cm thick at their widest point. The dimensions obviously vary according to the variety & size of your squash. Cut out the softer centre part including all the seeds, brush generously with olive oil and put on a tray or baking tin in the oven at around 190 degrees. Leave them roasting for 15 minutes initially, then turn and leave for at least another 10 minutes. Check at that point – they should be getting browned and slightly caramelised – if not, turn leave for another 10 minutes.

Whilst this is going on, dice up a few shallots or onions, a clove of garlic and a deseeded red chilli. Add these to a pan with some olive oil, a teaspoon each of coriander and the fresh or ground ginger & salt and white pepper. Fry them till they are fragrant and the shallots become translucent.

Next, remove the squash from the oven and carefully cut off the skin, leaving a wonderful soft yellow flesh that’s practically ready to eat. Add this to the mixture in the pan.

Then add 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock and let it come to a boil, lower the temperature and let everything simmer for 15 minutes. Use a hand blender/whizzer and puree the entire contents of the pot till it’s a smooth consistency.

Then squeeze half a lime and add a few splashes of soya sauce (or if you have it, fish sauce). Now, the important part: With a wooden spoon in one hand pour in some coconut cream, a little at a time until you get a lovely golden colour. Be wary of adding too much coconut cream as this can be quite rich and it will dominate the entire dish.

Serve immediately garnished with chopped coriander and crusty bread.
Catherine
KG Regular

That sounds lovely have copied it and will have a go over the weekend.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Catherine wrote:That sounds lovely have copied it and will have a go over the weekend.

Thanks Catherine. I'd love to hear what you think of it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic