Beetroot recipes

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

glallotments
KG Regular

We have lots of various coloured beetroots and have pickled and chutnied some but has anyone a way that they use beetroot as a vegetable? I have roasted beetroot but the taste alone isn't my favourite and I would like a recipe with other ingredients that enhance the flavour.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Gallotments, yes it can get a bit boring on its own, these recipes will help enhance the flavour, especially the cake, naughty but nice occasionally!
Beetroot risotto, goes nicely with roast duck, next day served with halloumi cheese or mascapone cheese / poached or boiled eggs
Beetroot / chocolate cake.( If you have a fav carrot cake recipe use that but substitute grated beetroot for the carrot and cocoa powder for some of the flour )
tender raw beetroot, grated, with a sweet sour dressing as a salad accompaniment
beetroot and orange salad,- cube cooked beetroot toss in vinaigrette, and pile on orange slices. or mix with mandarin segments and then toss in the vinaigrette
borsht or beetroot and orange soup
Now I have run out of ideas - :lol:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Colin_M
KG Regular

Borsch is a classic (and dramatic looking) soup. Because it's blended with other ingredients, you get the taste and colour of the beetroot without it overwhelming things too much.

Do a Google for it and you'll find loads of recipes.
Primrose
KG Regular

The recipe we use most regularly as a light supper on its own is to mix freshly cooked chopped beetroot into a hot potato salad which includes a little chopped onion and hot flaked kippers or some other kind of smoked fish. We mix in a dressing of equal quantities of mayonnaise, horseradish sauce and yoghurt. Serve on its own or with some mixed green salad.

(Which reminds me, I still have a lot of beetroot to harvest, and a couple of bags of frozen kippers in the freezer............).
Chantal
KG Regular

My favourite way of eating beetroot is a recipe taken from Paulo Arrigo's (Seeds of Italy) recipe book "From Seed to Plate".

I boil or roast a whole load of beetroot, skin it and then freeze in bags. I lay them out in the bags so they're not touching and when frozen can be removed individually.

I like beetroot slightly warm for this dish so microwave to defrost.

Beetroot, sliced thinly
Feta cheese, cut into small chunks
Toasted pine nuts
Lots of olive oil
Splash of lime or lemon juice

I eat this at least twice a week, it's also great made up and taken to the allotment for an alfresco lunch and it is scrummy!
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Franksmum
KG Regular

I was converted to liking beetroot by adding it grated to chocolate cakes and brownies and also a fantastic beetroot curry recipe in Rick Steins Far Eastern Odyssey (sp?)

Also we roast it with thyme wrapped in foil and have it with lentils stewed with carrot, onion, celery & herbs. Top with feta cheese or soft goats cheese.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

From Apicius, "De Re Coquinaria" Book 3, "The Gardener"

To make a dish of beets that will appeal to your taste slice the beets with leeks and crush coriander and cumin; add raisin wine, boil all down to perfection: bind it, serve the beets separate from the broth, with oil and vinegar.

Another Way

Cook the beets with mustard seed and serve them well pickled in a little oil and vinegar.
Edible
KG Regular

I think its gorgeous with a goats cheese salad.
Although there is also a place in my heart for beetroot and cheese sandwiches like my uncle always used to make us :)
jamesrobartson
KG Regular

I have made Herring Salad with Beetroot and it's taste was so good. I make this salad often for my pack lunches in the office. I like the sweet and sour taste.

Ingredients
* 2 fillets of pickled herring or 1 tub of rollmops
* 1 med onion finely chopped
* 3 beetroots (pickled. idealy the vaccum packs)
* 1tbsp low fat mayonnaise
* salt and pepper to taste

Method
# Chop the beetroot and the drained herring fillets and combine with the onion in a bowl.
# Add the mayonnaise and season.
# Leave in fridge 1 hour or even overnight for the flavours to combine.
Tips
* Serve with dark rye bread or baby new potatoes.
Rich in Omega 3.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Beetroot bubble and squeak

* 200g grated beetroot
* 200g mashed potato
* 2 onions
* 1 tablespoon of soured cream
* 1 teaspoon of creamed horseradish

Cook the beetroot in a covered pan with a knob of butter, a tablespoon of wine vinegar and some seasoning for about 10 minutes over a low heat. Then mix with the mashed potato, plus the onions, fried and diced, the soured cream and the creamed horseradish. Leave to cool, then shape into cakes, dust with flour and fry until golden.

beetroot and orange soup-

* 500g fresh beetroot
* 1 litre vegetable stock
* Juice and grated rind of 3 fresh orange (or 200ml fresh orange juice
* teaspoon ground coriander ( or fresh added last minute if available )
* teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 bay leaf

1. Scrub the beetroot and chop off the roots and stalks.

2. Either chop the beetroot finely or grate them. A food processor is a lovely way of doing this, without covering everything in purple splatters!

3. Put the beetroot in a soup pan with the vegetable stock, orange rind (if using) and bay leaf. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, until the beetroot is soft.

4. Add the spices and orange juice. Remove the bay leaf.

5. You can either serve it whole or liquidise it until smooth.

slice beetroot with other root veg for a veg gratin - some blue cheese to taste, in the sauce complements the sweetness.

chutney recipe
http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/1067 ... -recipe-2/
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
adam-alexander
KG Regular

Try beetroot boiled, sliced and served warm, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice, sprinkled with crushed allspice and chopped parsley - excellent with fried or grilled white fish. The leaves of beetroot can be eaten too, cooked just like spinach - delicious!

a-a
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic