Quince jam

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Malk
KG Regular

just got some quince over the weekend and tasted the grower's jam. It was lovely. Anyone got a recipe for it? If not, I'll chase my friend down for it.
Welcome to Finland!!
snooky
KG Regular

Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Malk
KG Regular

thanks made some yesterday and it turned out nicely, if set a bit hard as I used jam sugar. Trying to make fruit leather with a bit, but it's taking forever.
Welcome to Finland!!
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

I have been offered some Medlars and I have been reading up about them. Has anybody made Medlar Jelly? Was it worth it - I am a fan of redcurrant jelly and the like with meat or cheese. :?:
Kind regards,

Elle
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi EG

A quick answer to your two questions:
Yes
No
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your honesty - I'll give it a miss then! 8)
Kind regards,

Elle
alan refail
KG Regular

EG

Have a look at this old thread on medlars.
glallotments
KG Regular

Elle's Garden wrote:I have been offered some Medlars and I have been reading up about them. Has anybody made Medlar Jelly? Was it worth it - I am a fan of redcurrant jelly and the like with meat or cheese. :?:

We gathered just 10 medlars this year (but it was double from last year). We didn't know what to do with them and so made medlar and apple jelly. We used it on plain scones as it didn't seem appropriate for meat and we liked it - although can't describe the taste - just different! Having only 10 medlars though we added a couple of apples and had just a ramekin full of jelly. It was a very firm set.

There are photos of the process on my website http://glallotments.co.uk/Medlars.aspxScroll to the bottom.
Last edited by glallotments on Wed May 19, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Thanks for the links, it has an interesting history. I still think that I will give the jelly a miss. I quite fancy trying the sloe & apple one in the KG mag this month. I shall get some more sloes at the weekend. :D
Kind regards,

Elle
Primrose
KG Regular

I made some quince jam once with a bagful of quinces I bought back from a holiday in Portugal. The recipe said this was supposed to be a delightful tasting jam but mine was so thick you needed a knife to cut it. It also had a muddy unappetising colour and very disappointing. I ended up putting most of it on slices of bread for our local fox who had less fussy tastes than we did.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Guess what turned up outside my house yesterday - a large bucket of Medlars. :( Guess I will be having a go at the Medlar Jelly anyway!
Kind regards,

Elle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic