pickled chillies

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

amo
KG Regular

Hello

Does anyone have a recipe for a spanish style pickled chillies please?

I grew a lot of these long not too hot chillies but now I am a little stuck, I can't even guess which vinegar to use.

Many thanks

amo
Tigger
KG Regular

Try Googling it- you're bound to come up with something.
glallotments
KG Regular

I'm totally off chillies. I know I was stupid but I prepared some for the freezer yesterday - halved and deseeded them.

They were a variety given free with something so I was unsure of how hot they were. I tasted a tiny bit and it seemed really mild so I proceeded to deseed. After doing half of them my hands started to sting - just a little. Thinking the seeds were at fault I put on some rubber gloves and continued. I finished them but gradually my hands started to burn. This continued all night and was really painful - the only relief was to rinse them in cold water.

I tried all the suggestions on the Internet to soothe them but none other than cold water worked. Every time my hands warmed up or I touched anything the burning built up. They were OK when I got up this morning but are beginning to burn again.

On top of that my husband somehow got some of what must have been the oil in his eye. Hours after the chillies were popped in the freezer his eye started to sting and was really painful for several minutes. As I wear contact lenses I was ultra careful when removing them and putting them back in this morning!

As I say stupid not to have used gloves from the start but I thought only hot chillies caused this problem and it is a mystery as to how my husband got some in his eyes. He must have touched something that was affected.

I think they are likely to be binned!!!
Westi
KG Regular

Thats interesting glallotments - I thought only the hot ones as
well as it was the capsican stuff that caused the problem. I
never grow them too hot for us as my hubby is a bit of a wimp
therefore I don't bother with the gloves but maybe it isn't
related and I should.

The only thing is prehaps the bit of the one you tasted was mild
but the rest of it was smokin? or you have developed an allergy?

Amo - what the difference between spanish style and any other?
Is it spices or something? As I only grow mild it might be a good
and different way to perserve some.

Westi
Westi
glallotments
KG Regular

It has still been stinging a little all today. Tends to be worse when my hands are warm but my ifinger tips are fairly sensitive.

If my hands had started stinging straight away I would have stopped sooner but as I said I had done half a colander full before I felt anything!!!

I can tend towards sensitivity but my husband was affected too and he is general allergy free!
amo
KG Regular

poor you it must be horrible to have your hands burning like that and for so long!

did you try aloe vera?

I meant the long green ones in jars they are so good I love them, they are not too hot just a little heat!

I think I found a recipe I will post it in a few weeks when I tasted it.

hope you get better soon

amo
macmac
KG Regular

I 've just been given this recipe.
600g 1lb5oz green chillis (red will be hotter )
15 black peppercorns
5 bay leaves
3tablespoons coriander seeds
5 teaspoons salt
6 heaped tablespoons caster sugar
1 litre-1 3/4pts white wine vinegar

Slit the chillis on one side stalk to tip and remove the seeds,pour boiling water over them and leave for 5 minutes.Drain-this should get rid of most of the remaining seeds.Put peppercorns,bay leaves,coriander seeds,chillis ,salt into a large jar or other airtight container.Put sugar and vinegar in a saucepan and heat gently until sugar is dissolved,allow to cool slightly but while still hot pour over the chillies etc,cool and the put the lid on.
Leave for two weeks before sampling,they keep app. four months in the fridge .I haven't tried this yet and will probably halve the quantities.
sanity is overrated
glallotments
KG Regular

amo wrote:poor you it must be horrible to have your hands burning like that and for so long!

did you try aloe vera?

I meant the long green ones in jars they are so good I love them, they are not too hot just a little heat!

I think I found a recipe I will post it in a few weeks when I tasted it.

hope you get better soon

amo

On the third day the burning stopped thanks, the chillies were already in the bin!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic