Alternatives to Hellmans

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

I sort of understand your frustration Alain.

Out of interest, can you talk us through your favourite mayonaise?
alan refail
KG Regular

OK Colin, here goes.

This is what I make, exactly as I make it, but at its base is the "original" recipe.

All ingredients at room temperature, preferably.

One small, very fresh egg yolk.
Filippo Berio olive oil (not extra virgin).

Using electric beater I add the oil to the egg yolk, very slowly at first then, when it's clear that the oil and egg are combining without splitting, slightly faster, until the sauce is really thick and almost solid.
Then I add about half a teaspoonful of Japanese rice vinegar to slacken the sauce, about quarter teaspoonful each of Dijon mustard and "Welsh Lady" horseradish sauce and mix in.

I know that this sounds a bit "precious" but it's what I whack together in less than 5 minutes.
Elaine
KG Regular

That sounds lovely Alan, I might even be tempted to try it. It sounds easy to do yet watching/reading these tv chefs etc., it seems complicated and way beyond my no faffing level!

Out of curiosity, do you not like any mayo or is it just the Helmans stuff you can't abide?
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
alan refail
KG Regular

Elaine wrote:That sounds lovely Alan, I might even be tempted to try it. It sounds easy to do yet watching/reading these tv chefs etc., it seems complicated and way beyond my no faffing level!

Out of curiosity, do you not like any mayo or is it just the Helmans stuff you can't abide?
Cheers.

Hi Elaine

Glad you didn't think I was being too "arty-farty". Making real mayonnaise is really very simple. Might take a while the first few times, but it gets easier. As the Russians say, "The first pancake is always a mess".

And no, I don't like any "mayo" in jars. I had a look at Hellman's ingredients today. I don't use "pasteurised egg", "vegetable oil" or "spirit vinegar". Mind you, my mayonnaise doesn't taste like bottled "mayo" :wink:
MrsL
KG Regular

I tried the Hellman's after they changed to free range eggs, but I find it too salty.
This is mine:

Break two fresh egg yolks into a bowl, whisk well, then add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice, whisk again. Start to add your chosen oil a few drops at a time to begin with, whisking well between additions; as it thickens, you can add a little more each time. Halfway through or so, I add in a tablespoon or so of white wine or honey vinegar; keep adding the oil until it reaches the consistency you like, then season with sea salt and black pepper.
Keeps well inf ridge, but covered to prevent a skin forming.

A much better consistency and a truer mayonnaise is achieved with a hand whisk rather than anything electric.
John
KG Regular

Interesting recipe, Mrs L.
What oil would you recommend?

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
MrsL
KG Regular

I like a neutral-ish oil, and usually use sunflower oil; I find olive oil too strong for my tastes, but I know a lot of folks like that in home made mayonnaise.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic