Fennel ideas.

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Coming to the end of my winter fresh veg. I am now turning to what is in the freezer. You came up with some super ideas for swede I now need some ideas for fennel. It is frozen in slices. I like it with with fish but would like to use it in one pot dishes if possible. Maybe with cheese or bacon something like that.
All suggestions gratefully received.

Beryl.
Smurfy
KG Regular

I love it in gratin with potatoes or in a stew.

Also if you par boil a variety of veg (i normally do carrots, parsnips, swede, turnip and fennel) and also boil some pasta. Mix the veg and the pasta together with some passata and put in an oven proof dish, cover with cheese and sprinkle some herbs and then cook in a medium heat oven for about 40 minutes. it's one of the best pasta bakes i've had.
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks Smurfy - sounds good but I am out of the winter veg now and I don't like buying when I have so much in the freezer but to improvise I am sure it will taste just as good with the tomatoe sauce I have and a cheese sauce on the top.
Thanks for giving me the idea. Will also keep it in mind for next winter.

Beryl.
Tigger
KG Regular

No good for now as it's frozen but great when it's fresh in the summer, it makes a good salad contribution.
bazza1979
KG Regular

i use fennel in stir frys and currys (parsnips are also very good in currys too!!) :P
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Beryl,
As it's already in slices and the freezer will have softened it, you can fry it in a pan with some onion and bacon pieces very slowly till it caramelises. When it's nearly done, squeeze some lemon juice into it and then serve with some crusty bread. Very good, indeed. A great accompaniment for pork, as well, chops or tenderloin.

Another of my favourites is to gently fry the fennel in a little olive oil with a bit of onion and garlic, add a tin of tomatoes and then some chunks of whatever frozen fish (or shellfish inc. mussels). Gently cook till the fish is done (try not to stir too much as you don't want to break the fish up too much) and sprinkle loads of parsley over the top. Again, great with loads of crusty bread to mop up the juices. If you're feeling adventurous, you can mix chopped parsley, grated lemon zest and crushed garlic together and sprinkle on top for extra bit - this devilish little mix is gremolata and is superb on top of lots of things. You can swap chicken for the fish in this recipe.

Enjoy!
Best wishes,
Vivien
Smurfy
KG Regular

Oh vivienz, you're making my tummy rumble :D
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
Beryl
KG Regular

I was about to say the same thing Smurfey. Vivienz you're a gem. Guess which one is for dinner tomorrow?

Many Thanks
Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic