Home made drinks

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

garden_serf
KG Regular

After reading posts about the Mangold Worzels (and seeing them on the TV), that I have never heard of! :oops:
I thought I would ask -
What is the most tasty drink you have ever made....
from something you have grown, acquired or scrumped?

Alcholic or non-alcoholic.

I am sure I could be making more tasty drinks from stuff I grow.

My latest, bottled & corked yesterday was cider, made to a very old farmhouse recipe, from my fallen Russets.
First impressions speak of Scrumpy!! I think its a good one :D
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
alan refail
KG Regular

Sloe gin

But we do buy the gin :( Must try "scrumping" it next year :twisted:
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi GS,
Certainly as Alan has said Sloe Gin takes some beating. I have also made 'Scrumpy' with apples from my orchard from Knightwick Bitter which is a very large cider apple (big rosy apple which you are bound to bite into and two seconds later think that you have got Mumps!) this made wonderful Scrumpy and I packed up making it because I grew too fond of it.
I don't get a hang-over from Beer but with Cider I always get a thick head.
JB.
garden_serf
KG Regular

I did make a large kilner jar of slow gin a few years back. It was very good. I am not really a spirits drinker though.
I also tricked someone picking sloes with us into tasting a sloe staight off the bush :evil: (Well it happened to me too when I was younger so why not!!)

JB - uummm cider! Very nice. Shame you get a thick head. I do not. But maybe you neck more than I do!

Has anyone ever made their own Perry?
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
Colin_M
KG Regular

garden_serf wrote:What is the most tasty drink you have ever made....
from something you have grown, acquired or scrumped?
Well, I'd still have to say the 2006 Mangel Wine was the tastiest. By comparison, all of my attempts at Rhubarb wine have produced pretty yucky results.

My neighbour has a large apple tree that he never bothers picking. He let me have a few bucket-fulls and (not knowing better) I used a juicer to extract the liquid. This was then fermented, but I let it get too far, so decided to let the scrumpy turn into apple wine with the help of some Honey. That wasn't too bad a result.

I'm also a big fan of home made Elderberry & Blackberry wine - needs a couple of years before the tanins become bearable, but worth the wait.

This thread of messages is making me thirsty - should we try to organise a bring a bottle meeting at Malvern this year? :D
garden_serf
KG Regular

Huummm, I think Mangel is creeping closer to the top of my list to try. A few people are speaking highly of the drink made from it!
I will need to look up how to grow them. I won't need many.

I have also heard a few people mention 'Malvern'. Not my neck of the woods. I have heard of the show there, is that what you mean?
Please expand if you can.
The Mouse
KG Regular

Unlike Colin, we've got a batch of Rhubarb wine maturing at the moment that so far tastes great - so good that it's unlikely to be around long enough to become very mature!
Only trouble is, because of a slight mix-up in the early stages, we are never likely to be able to reproduce it. My OH miscalculated the sugar, thinking that one bag weighted 1 kilo, not realising that I had bought larger bags containing 2 kilos. We realised something wasn't right when we took a specific gravity reading and the hydrometer nearly bounced off the top of the liquid :?
In an attempt at damage limitation, we threw in all the frozen rhubarb I had left in the freezer, and extra quantities of all the other ingredients I could lay my hands on, then hoped for the best. And so far, so good :D

In an attempt to produce a wine that can be drunk more quickly than most, we recently made a batch of apple wine using cheap packets of pure apple juice from the supermarket. Someone had told us that it was drinkable within about 8 weeks. We managed to wait 10 weeks before drinking it, and I must say it wasn't bad - the whole batch got drunk over Christmas (and for less than 60 pence a bottle). I've now got a bigger batch of similar stuff on the go, but with a bit of pure grape juice thrown in as well. Can't wait to try it !
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
garden_serf
KG Regular

Sounds like you are really having a go Caz!
I have tasted rhubarb wine and liked it. I am growing rhubarb too.

Good effort with the bought juice. Was the lower price your drive to do it? Or was that a by product of having a go yourself?
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi, Garden Serf
I must admit, with my Yorkshire / Scottish blood, the thought of such cheap wine was a big incentive :wink: .
So was the thought of not having to wait at least two years to be able to drink it, like we will have to do with some of the wines we have on the go at the moment :!:
But over the last year we have had a go at making wine out of all the fruits I have grown (or been given), and we were interested to see how the quick version would compare with what we've got brewing from our own apples. It will be quite a while before the home-grown version is ready, so we'll be drinking a few batches of the 'supermarket special' in the meantime! Hic... hic...
Mark Twain
amo
KG Regular

Hi Caz

Would love to try your rhubarb and apple wine. could you please post the recipes.
Last year I did some damson wine but I have not tried it yet!!! should be ready next month.

amo
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi, Amo

I've just posted the recipe for Apple Wine. If you decide to give it a go, I hope you enjoy it.
It's not quite as easy with the recipe for Rhubarb Wine, because as I said earlier, we had a bit of a disaster at the early stages that meant doing a lot of improvising :roll:
But I'll get my OH to find the recipe we were meant to be using, and post it sometime in the next few days. :)
Mark Twain
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My favourites are sparkling cider made from mainly Newton Wonder apples, blackcurrant cordial, nettle beer - ready in two weeks but the last bottle from last year's batch was excellent. Then grape wine from the Pink Chasselas was very good and my one and only bottle of white wine from the outdoor Madeleine Angevine was a pleasure to drink - perhaps because I had managed to pick enough grapes from my new vines to make a bottle of wine. It was a very good flavour despite what the books say about that particular variety of grape. At least it managed to ripen at 500+ feet in Yorkshire last summer.

I also like the red currant wine, and last but not least Elderflower wine which is absolutely gorgeous, fragrant and slightly sparkling.

Elderflower cordial is also lovely and if you make lots you can keep it in bags in the freezer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic