Swede

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I have successfully grown some really huge swede this year. Apart from the usual mash, boiled, added to soups and stews I would be grateful for any ideas for something a bit different to do with them.

Thanks
Beryl.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Beryl

I cut them up and eat them raw as crudites with a chilli humous dip. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks Chantel, I hadn't thought about eating them raw. Sounds good.
Could add some sticks to my nibbles box in the fridge.

Beryl.
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Beryl,
They're really nice if you cut into chunks, parboil, then toss in oil & crushed garlic & roast in the oven for about 20 mins at 180C - roasting concentrates the flavour really well. Any leftovers can be stirred into risotto (I like it with a bit of left over chopped up pork sausage - a very anglicised version, but delicious). Keeps for a couple of days in the fridge then & can be chucked into all sorts of things. In my case, usually my mouth every time I open the box!
All the best,
Vivien
Beryl
KG Regular

oooh yes, thanks Vivien. Definitely on the menue.

Thanks again
Beryl.
Stephen
KG Regular

Beryl
I have experemented with swede.
I have never been a fan as in the 60s, when I was young in Somerset (where they grow well), it was offered as rather watery mash and as little else.
So I tried sauteeing them with some onions and paprika. It takes a long time, 25 minutes or so, on a low heat, but works very well for me.
I keep the bits of swede as slimish slices rather than chunks and add the onion after the swede has had a chance to sit flat on the base fo the pan, so that they get some very direct heat.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you Stephen, another nice idea I will try. Maybe if the slices were par-boiled first it wouldn't take so long to saute.
I can recommend Vivien's recipe - delicious.

Beryl.
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Beryl
I have tried that and prefered the original (not par-boiled) approach. But that is just my preference. I do like to experiment with things.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Colin_M
KG Regular

They go fine stir-fried (alongside other stuff).

Obviously added to casseroles and anything like a Cornish Pastie works well too.

Like an earlier poster, I used to hate swede when it was served up as the boiled & mashed variety - still don't like that version much. However it's taste can work really well in the suggested dishes.

Finally, if you want a variation on mashed/bolied swede, try it with some apples and a couple of sauted shallots added to it. Swede & apple seem to work well together (esp with a nice joint of roast pork!).
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks Colin.
Having had swede and apple sauce on the same plate I can imagine the 2 combined would be very tasty.

Beryl.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Beryl,
My mother used to steam Swede because she said when boiled it was always soggy. We used to enjoy her Swede mashed, but not soggy,
with some salt, pepper and a dollop of double cream added.
JB.
Beryl
KG Regular

oooh JB, what are you trying to do to my waistline?
How can I resist.

Beryl.
bazza1979
KG Regular

i made a cake with a rather large swede i had once just followed a carrot cake recepie and substituted carrot with swede, it had a unusual taste to say the least, it smelt of swede, but tasted alright!
Beryl
KG Regular

Hi Bazza,

I have made carrot and beetroot cake before as both those two have a high sugar content. Not sure about swede but I see no reason why not.

Thanks
Beryl.
Smurfy
KG Regular

It's not very exciting compared to some of the suggestions but i often add it grated to coleslaw or use a potato peeler to make thin slices and then pop them in the oven to make 'crisps'.
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic