I forgot the sugar in my pickled courgettes!

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mel Darke
KG Regular

I did my first ever lot of pickling courgettes a couple of weeks ago and 1. forgot to add the 8oz of sugar required and 2. forgot to buy some wax paper seals for my sterilised kilner jars. Am I wasting my time thinking I may be able to enjoy some reasonable pickles in a couple of months time?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Mel,
if you want, you can re-do them. Go back to the point in the recipe where you add the sugar and repeat the steps after that. You can repeat most recipes for jams, pickles and chutneys if you forget something as long as you reheat them to sterilisation point and don't try to reuse any of the wax discs or cellophane tops.
I was under the impression (I may be in error here) that wax discs were only to be used with the cellophane lids as they allow water through them and cause problems under the seals of metal, plastic and glass lids.
Regards Sally Wright.
Mel Darke
KG Regular

Sally Thanks.

I'll give this a go at the weekend. It would be such a shame to waste what I have done so far. I have even got an acknowledgement and apology from the Delia Online website to say that the instuctions were printed incorrectly in the recipe that I used!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic