Aubergine and potatoe Dhansac

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

This is an absolutely lovely recipe and makes loads. Just substitute any veggies you might have it makes no difference.
Aubergine and Potato Dhansak
Serves 4 - preparation time 15 mins – cooking time 1hr 20mins
Energy 571 kcals – protein 19.8g – carbohydrate 50.8g – fat 33.4g – saturated fat 16.6g – fibre 8.1g – salt 1.50g – no added sugars

4 tbs sunflower oil
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds – (I did not have any of these and have not been able to get any so missed them out)
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 small cinnamon stick
8 cloves
2 large onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves crushed
5cm (2inch) fresh root ginger peeled and finely grated
1 x 400g (14ox) can chopped toms
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
tbsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp sweet paprika
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 x 200 ml (7 fl oz) carton coconut cream. I did not have this either so I used a can of coconut milk which without shaking had the thick creamy coconut at the top of the tin so I scooped it out and used that with a little bit of water from the tin to make up 200 ml.
600 ml water
100g red lentils – I used split red lentils, don’t know if there is a difference
225g peeled potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
1 aubergine about 175g cut into bite sized pieces
225g cauliflower florets broken into bite sized pieces
1 x 225g bag of baby leaf spinach. (did not have this either)
Leaves from 1 small pot of coriander – or this – left it out.
¼ teaspoon salt
Chapattis of naan bread to serve
1. Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon and cloves and leave to sizzle for 30 seconds. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 10 minutes until soft.
2. Add tomatoes, spices, coconut cream, water and lentils and simmer for 40 minutes until the lentils are quite soft and have disintegrated into the sauce.
3. Remove the cinnamon stick and add the potatoes, aubergine, salt and another 150 mls of water if necessary, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, add the cauliflower and cover and simmer for a further 15 – 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not breaking apart.
4. Stir in the spinach and cook for 2 minutes, stir in the coriander and serve with chapattis or warm naan bread
I didn’t stick to the veggies it said above, I had some sweet potato and butternut squash so I threw them in chopped into bite sized pieces. I think you can use any veggies. I didn’t have any spinach or coriander leaves so I left them out also. It was really delicious. But I put all the veggies in at the same time and cooked it for longer than the recipe says, you will have to try and adapt it for you.