Wholemeal bread recipe

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Essexboy
KG Regular

Has anybody out there got a simple, foolproof recipe for a wholemeal loaf, not one for a bread making machine. I enjoy baking but never seem to have a lot of success when I attempt bread making. I am trying to avoid shop prices, as a diabetic, I find that there are only ever special offers on white pap, never wholemeal.
Regards, Essexboy.
elsakrogh
KG Regular

This is my standard bread, not all wholemeal, but you can change it gradually, once you get going:

1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp honey
400 ml boiling water, mix till salt dissolved. Add
400 ml cold water
200 ml plain yoghurt
2 tsp yeast
2 cups rye meal or graham meal
2 cups rolled oats
700 - 900 g plain flour
Stir as much plain flour into the mix as you can, cover with cloth and leave for a couple of hours till double size.
Now tip the dough out on the table, well floured, and knead as much plain flour into it as you wish, that is: if you want to bake crusty bread, the dough must be stiffer than if you put the loaves into bread tins. Anyway, shape into 2 loaves. Leave to rise for 1 hour, and bake on lowest shelf in oven at 220 degrees (Celsius, not Fahrenheit!) for 30-45 min. If in tins, tip them out unto the tray after 30 min so the bottom and the sides of the loaves get brown.
PS: My oven is electric, if you use a gas oven, you'll have to experiment.
alia
KG Regular

my bread recipes are in american, so i doubt the exact measures would be helpful, but i have a white flour challah recipe that is my standard-- i substitute whole meal for white in equal measure. i think the reason it never fails me is it uses twice the amount of yeast as the other recipes. (it was the only way i could get a risen loaf in seattle, wa, which is similar to england climate-wise)... and it kept really well, too.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Dear Elsa,
May I enquire what Graham Meals is?
Would Porridge Oats do?
JB.
elsakrogh
KG Regular

Graham meal is finely ground whole wheat kernels, not sifted. It may be an American expression, sorry. Makes better bread than 'lumpy' wholemeal.
mollysmum
KG Regular

Essexboy wrote:Has anybody out there got a simple, foolproof recipe for a wholemeal loaf, not one for a bread making machine. I enjoy baking but never seem to have a lot of success when I attempt bread making. I am trying to avoid shop prices, as a diabetic, I find that there are only ever special offers on white pap, never wholemeal.
Regards, Essexboy.
Hi,I have a recipe for a lovely loaf but you need sourdough culture, if you would like some I could post it to you dried and you restart the dried flakes it makes great bread. Don't know how to give you my e-mail don't want to put it up for the cosmos to see, might get some unwanted mail. :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic