Potatoes - best way to freeze

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

HelenH
KG Regular

I hope I've chosen the right area to post my query. I've harvested my Desiree potatoes today. They are superb and really big too but some have been attacked by slugs and need using up. So I plan to freeze what I can't immediately use.

Firstly, what's the best way to freeze without too much fuss. And secondly, for how long can they stay in the freezer. Some information I read on the internet suggested a maximum of only one month in the freezer!

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks
Helen
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi Helen
I've got exactly the same situation - despite supposedly having some slug resistance, my Pentland Crown (or Pentland Squire - I can't remember which!) potatoes have been decimated by slugs. I've spent this morning boiling and mashing a large pan-full. Some I've shaped into individual duchess potatoes, which once frozen can be used as needed. Others I've shaped into what look like potato cakes using a loose-bottom cake tin - they will actually be used to top cottage pies over winter. The lot are now in the process of freezing. If you decide to go down this road, I recommend moulding them into a size and shape that will fit your usual cottage pie dish - then all you have to do is sit the frozen potato on top of your pie filling!
I admit, it is a bit of a hassle. My next batch will probably be chopped (roast potato size), parboiled and frozen to use for roasting.
I've used both these methods before, but at the end of winter as a way of using up potatoes that wouldn't store much longer. I was still using them out of the freezer at least six months later, and they still seemed fine.
Hope these ideas are of use.
HelenH
KG Regular

Hi Caz

Thanks for your most useful suggestions. Guess what I'll be doing over the Bank Holiday?

Regards
Helen
Beryl
KG Regular

Baked potato freezes best because there is little water in them. Bake, scooped out the flesh, mash with butter or a little cheese and refil skins and freeze.

Baked potato is really best of duchess potatoes too, they won't colapse as boiuled potato might when reheated.

Good for shepherds pie topping or any other way your like to serve mash.

Boiled potato is too watery really for freezing.

Beryl.
Beryl
KG Regular

Another thought - using a piping bag for your duchess potatoes. Piped on to a tray they look really good and professional. Reheat from frozen no need to thaw.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic