yellow courgette chutney

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I have loads of over grown yellow courgettes which I am about to make into chutney. I have several recipes all using malt vinegar but as the fruits are yellow and not green I am wondering if I should substitute malt vinegar with white vinegar?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Beryl.
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Beryl,
I made some chutney using yellow courgettes a couple of years ago and used malt vinegar. The chutney turned out fine - the flesh of the courgettes went the usual brown colour but the yellow skin stayed quite yellow and looked quite nice in the mix.
Best wishes,
Vivien
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks for your advice Vivien. As it is a wet day here I will get cracking and get it done. With all this rain now I think I am going to have quite few 'large courgettes' to deal with.

Beryl.
Beryl
KG Regular

Vivien, Have you ever used Turks Turban in chutney?

I have so many this year and usually only use them for display purposes, presumably I could substitute the courgettes for TT. I am told the flesh is a bit on the dry side though. Squashes/Courgettes, marrows are not a veg I particularly like so I have never tried eating them.
Can't think what else to do with them. Any suggestions?

Beryl.
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Beryl,
Sorry for the delay in this reply. I haven't tried TT in chutney, I'm afraid. I usually manage to eat all my squashes especially in years such as this where they're not very productive (along with everything else that needs a bit of sun & heat).
If you cut them up into chunks & then roast with some olive oil & crushed garlic, they can be used in risotto with some sage - very good indeed. Alternatively, do the same but with 1/2" chunks and mix into a cheesy muffin mixture with a few snipped chives - these are excellent and freeze very well as long as you have space in the freezer! Finally, they are fantastic in a veggie curry.
Let me know if you'd like any recipes for these and I'll post them.
Best wishes,
Vivien
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks Vivien your recipes sound delicious but as there is only me to eat it I think I will be eating them for ever. I have so many that are huge this year and I was hoping to perhaps use them up in chutney to raise funds for the Macmillan cancer charity or our own allotment association. If they cook well in a curry I see no reason why they wouldn't make chutney. Think I will give it a go.

Thanks again.
Beryl.
elsakrogh
KG Regular

It is not advisable to eat decoration pumpkins/squashes as they can be bitter, and if bitter, they may be slightly poisonous, or at least not good for you. In normal years the standard summer squashes/courgettes should provide ample fruit for experiments, but I admit it is not one of those years here either.
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Elsa,
Although Turks Turban are very decorative, they are an edible variety, and very tasty too, so no mischief should come from Beryl's TT chutney (unless she puts too much chilli into of course)! :wink:
Beryl
KG Regular

That's a relief to know, I thought for one moment I was going to poison everyone.

Beryl.
Beryl
KG Regular

No chance of making chutney now. I had left 10 TT out in the sun to harden their skins and over night the vandals have struck. Looks like they have played football with them. Not one left in tact. I don't think it was animals, no scratch marks, just been smashed. Even my beetroot has been thrown around the plot. Some landed on top the the netting cage which is about 4ft high so can't blame badgers this time.
What a waste.

Beryl.
vivienz
KG Regular

Words and emoticons can't begin to describe how annoyed you must be - I certainly would be! Very sorry to hear this, Beryl. It's so upsetting when you've spent months nurturing plants and crops to have something so utterly mindless like this happen. What are the security arrangements like at your allotments?
Vivien
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, so sorry to hear that you have had more trouble on the allotment, i just don't know what enjoyment some people get out of upsetting others.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

Many thanks to you both for your commiserations.

I did think with the school hols nearly over we had been lucky this year, but not so. We have security locks and so called security fencing on 2 sides of the plot but it is just not high enough. So easy for them to prop their bikes against the fence and 2 hops and they are over. There was signs the gate lock had been tampered with too. Other than being vigilant I don't think there is much else we can do. The council have promised to replant brambles etc. again but when that will be your guess is as good as mine.

One consolation I did save the butternut squash. I had managed to get them home and in the greenhouse.

Thanks again
Regards
Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic