Courgette flowers - ideas for use

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Judybby
KG Regular

Just wondering what others do with their courgette flowers? I'm quite new to veg growing and this is the first time I've grown courgettes.
All I've seen is recipes for tempura batter and frying. I'm going to try some just raw in salad I think. Will I need to remove any part of the flower, or is it all edible?
Any other recipe ideas?
Thanks
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Judy

The main thing is to check for insects :!:

The ideal way to eat the flowers is attached to the baby courgette. I must admit I never catch them at this stage, but it is a good method if you have a glut of courgettes.

This sounds and looks a tasty recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6536 ... ive-tapena

I haven't tried it yet.

If you google for recipes remember to try "zucchini" as well as "courgettes".
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi, I did stuffed courgette flowers last night. I'd not tried it before, but the flowers were so lovely and fresh I thought I would give it a try.

The recipe said to take out the stigma from the centre before stuffing them with a mixture of cream cheese mixed with a few lightly cooked peas, a handful of chopped chives and mint and lots of salt and black pepper, then dip in tempura batter and cook in hot olive oil for 2 or three minutes.

They were delicious. It suggests 2 each for a starter, but we had 3 and I hardly had any room left for the rest of the dinner.
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding,
Very scrummy, indeed! If you found the stuffed ones too filling, you can just dip the flower in a very light batter and deep fry that, served with a nice bit of salad & garlicky dressing.
Vivien
Judybby
KG Regular

Thanks all. I think I'll try either the one in Alan's link or Plum Puddings over the weekend - they look similar. I'll remember to check for insects too :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic