Cherries Galore

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

goldilox
KG Regular

Hi everyone,
My friends have just picked 15 kilos of cherries, and still have another tree to go!
We'd really appreciate any cherry recipes you have (they gave me a big bag full :D )
Might just freeze some of them for my breakfasts (have fruit every morning) and maybe make some jam, but any other ideas would be very welcome.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Oh come on now Goldilox, you know very well that you are meant to sit there and not move until you have pigged out on the lot! :wink:
JB.
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Goldilox

What sort of birds (not wimim) do you have where you are.

Here, they would not even get half ripe.

Now that's real birds!
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
Franksmum
KG Regular

Hi

If you are near a Sainsburys pick up one of their magazines. I was reading mine last night and there are some fab cherry recipes in there!
alan refail
KG Regular

I'm not sure that Goldilox has a nearby Sainsburys in France :wink:

However, there are 133 Sainsbury recipes here.

By the by, my cherries are moving fast - half-ripe and down the birds' throats :twisted:

Perhaps we should start eating the birds here in Wales :wink:
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks for the reminder - I've not put the net over my cherry trees yet.

Two years ago I got 60 lb cherries from one tree when I netted it and last year got 6 lb without the net. I had actually fallen out of the tree taking the net off the year before and couldn't face going up the ladder again to replace it last year.

Must be brave, I don't like sharing the bird's left-overs.
Franksmum
KG Regular

[quote="alan refail"]I'm not sure that Goldilox has a nearby Sainsburys in France :wink:

I'm sorry - I need an eyetest :lol:
Primrose
KG Regular

I personally love fresh cherries so much, and the season is so short that in this house we tend to 'pig out' on them fresh. But I do try and exercise a little self discipline and freeze a few for putting in mixed summer fruit compotes.
The only problem is removing the stones first. I can always slice the first half of the cherry away cleanly but the second stage of removing the stone always ends up turning the flesh into a pulpy mess.
Is there an expert way of doing this?
Beryl
KG Regular

Primrose, I bought a very good cherry stoner from Lakeland last year. It was about £15 I think but with so many cherries well worth it. It will stone Olives too.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!10557

Beryl.
Beryl
KG Regular

Sorry for some reason the link doesn't work. It is called the Cherry Super stoner. £15.99

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks Beryl. Have a Lakeland catalogue lying around somewhere. Will have a look through it.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
Try this website;

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/SearchResults ... rry+Stoner

Strange, prior to logging on here I was on the Lakeland site! Spooky or what?
JB.
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Goldilox - you lucky thing!
May I suggest cherries in alcohol for some ready made Christmas/birthday pressies (f you're feeling very generous and haven't managed to eat them all by then)? Absolutely superb served on good vanilla ice-cream, or chocolate mousse.
There is also the classic french dessert, clafoutis, using fresh cherries that is delicious. Let me know if it's not in the Sainsbury recipe list and I will post one.
Vivien
goldilox
KG Regular

Wow, what a response. Haven't been able to visit for a few days - you lot have been busy. Thanks everyone - will pass on the Sainsbury's link, plenty to go at there. Just hope they give me another bag!
Vivienz, the cherries in alcohol sound brilliant - couldn't find them on the Sainsbury's link so would really appreciate that one.
Don't know why the birds haven't eaten them as they weren't netted. I save the bags from inside wine boxes, cut them into strips and tie them on the tree (mind you, my tree is only 3 or 4 years old and very small!) Managed to get a bowl-ful this year :)
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Goldilox,

Here we go!
1. Wash & pit your cherries
2. Add to them the same weight of sugar (granulated is fine)
3. Leave to sit for a couple of hours
4. Pack the fruit & its juices into cleaned & sterilised kilner jars
5. Fill to the brim with your choice of spirit - brandy is good for cherries. If you don't fill the jar entirely, just add enough spirit to cover the fruit. If you want, try adding a good splash of amaretto to the brandy as it does enhance the almondiness (?) of the cherries.
6. Store in a cool, dark place and occasionally give a gentle turn over a few times to ensure that the sugar is dissolved & evenly distributed.
7. Ready in a couple of months, but certainly by Christmas!

If you have a REALLY big preserving jar, you can go the whole hog and do a German-style rumptopf. A rumptopf is just a large crock pot with a wide rim and lid. As you go through the seasons, the above method is used with various fruits, strawbs, raspberries (don't wash these before adding), peaches, etc. Rum is traditionally used and after the first lot of fruit has gone in, the amount of sugar is halved for subsequent batches, i.e. 2:1 ratio of fruit to sugar. Just keep topping it up till its full, seal and keep for a couple of months.
Very delicious.
Vivien
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic