Carrot and coriander soup

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All.

I made this the other day and it was so yummy I thought I would post it up. So, here goes......

Ingredients: Serves 4-6 people

450g1lb carrots, preferably young and tender
15ml/1tbsp sunflower/olive oil
40g/1 1/2oz butter
1 onion chopped
1 stick of celery plus celery leaves
2 smallish spuds
1 litre/1 1/3 pints of vegetable stock
10-15ml, 2-3tsp ground coriander
15ml, 1tbsp fresh coriander finely chopped
200ml, 7fl oz milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

1. Trim and peel the carrots and cut into chunks. Heat the oil and 25g, 1oz of butter in a large casserole or heavy bottomed saucepan. Fry the onion over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened. Do not allow it to brown.

2. Slice the celery and chop the spuds into chunks. Add them to the pan and cook for a few minutes, then add the carrots. Continue to cook over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring and then cover the pan.

3. Reduce the heat even further and sweat the veg for about 10 minutes. Shake the pan every so often or stir so that the veg doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.

4. Add the vegetable stock and bring the liquid to the boil. Half cover the pan and simmer for a further 8-10 minutes until the spuds and carrots are tender.

5. Chop the celery leaves. Melt the remaining butter in a separate small saucepan and fry the ground coriander for 1 minute, stirring continually.

6. Reduce the heat under the coriander and add the celery and fresh coriander and fry for about a minute. Then add the milk and bring to a gentle simmer.

7. Process the soup in a blender or with one of those hand held jobs. Pour back into the saucepan and add the milk mixture. Season and heat gently.

8. Dish up and enjoy.

This is even tastier when served with freshly made, warm soda bread.
Lots of love

Lizzie
goldilox
KG Regular

Carrot and coriander - my favourite! When your coriander runs to seed this year, let it. Then pick the seeds whilst green and collect in a tub in the freezer. After you've blitzed your soup, add some of these green seeds. They add a wonderful flavour-burst each time you bite one. :D
lizzie
KG Regular

Thanks for that. I thought you ahd to let the seeds dry completely so that they were brown.........

I'll try and remember this.....
Lots of love

Lizzie
goldilox
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie,
No,they're just nicer and more tender green - easier to bite. But they do have to be kept in the freezer until there's enough.
lizzie
KG Regular

No probs........thanks for giving info.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic