800ml thick red chili/tomato puree

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tricia
KG Regular

I had about 400g red chilies, mostly espanola and red padron, which had been accumulating in my fridge. Since I only had a few tired old tomatoes I added a can of chopped tomatoes and boiled the lot up till the chilies were soft. I then whizzed them in the blender and subsequently put them through a fine sieve to remove the last remnants of skin and pips.

So now I have this lovely thick, rather hot, puree and would love some ideas as to how to proceed - maybe to make a chili jam if the heat can be toned down somewhat? It would need to be a recipe that keeps for a long time.

I've already made red pepper chutney with a bite to it and all manner of other chutneys, so a jam or jelly recipe would be appreciated, if anyone can help?
Tricia
nannygreen
KG Regular

sorry to be so late answering, only just got broadband! :D These might help this year.Freeze in ice cubes and then bung in a bag. You can get cheap packs of ice cube trays and they're great for everything from chicken stock to iced herbs.Count a cube as a rough tablespoonful. Nuke in microwave to defrost.
Have you tried using it as a straight sauce? Spread over pizza bases and topped with your favourite cheese and veg. Or use as a sauce around fishcakes or bean patties after frying. Yum! :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic