Pickled Cauliflower

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chantal
KG Regular

Does anyone have a tried and approved recipe for pickled cauliflower? I want one with no other veg except perhaps silverskin onions and chillies etc. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
GIULIA
KG Regular

yuk - you're joking right?
what's wrong with pick-a-lilly?
Suppose you could adapt a pickled bean recipe but hey - I've just thought of something. The Lebanese do a pickled turnip which is sublime - 'torshi luft' I think it's called, which involves a tiny bit of beetroot to make the turnips pink. That could be interesting. I think Claudia Roden did a recipe for it in a little paperback years ago but if you know any Lebanese people they're bound to know the recipe, it's practically a national dish. It's always on the menu at the Phoenicia restaurant in South Kensington and they make their own.. what an excuse for a trip to the smoke and a wonderful meal. Ah, memories!
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Giulia

I think it sounds vile, but I have a friend who is made for the stuff and asked if I could help. She buys those jars of Hayward's mixed pickles, but only eats the cauliflower :roll:

I've found several recipes but they include radish etc. I just wondered if there was a "pure cauliflower" recipe out there. I may have to adapt as you say. :wink:
Chantal

Colin_M
KG Regular

Hi Chantal, we've made some delicious caulflower pickles.

These have been Indian ones with spices in and no vinegar, but I see you're open to chillis etc. As it happens, the best one did have turnip (actually it was Mooli) in, but that could probably be omitted.

My cookery guru is out at the moment, but if you're interested I will try to find out.

Colin
Chantal
KG Regular

Yes please Colin :D
Chantal

Tigger
KG Regular

You could also try Delia's Mediterranean Vegetable Pickle, from her website. Much nicer than it sounds. Just change the ingredients to suit. I could bring you a jar of last year's to Malvern if you like.
Chantal
KG Regular

Yes please Tigger. :D
Chantal

Tigger
KG Regular

Consider it done.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic