Trifle

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi peeps

I'm looking for a knock out fab trifle concoction for Christmas pud please. I've thought about doing all the usual types but feel like doing something different. I've looked on food sites but nothing takes my fancy. Has anyone got any ideas please. The only thing is that there must be no alcohol involved as kids will be eating it too.

Thanks
Lots of love

Lizzie
Colin_M
KG Regular

Nice one Lizze, I too would like a triffic trifle recipe.

Personally, my faves are flavour and a good amount of custurd, plus alcohol is allowable. I'm less keen on hard fruit (eg. pears, apples or anything chewy) in my trifle.

Anyone got a recipe that's a little out of the ordinary?

Colin
Chantal
KG Regular

A friend of mine used to make one which included sliced Mars Bars. I sounds foul but the kids love it apparently.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Alison
KG Regular

My favourite trifle does include alcohol, as I make my own fruit liqueurs, by putting strawbs / rasps / blackberries in a jar, filling the jar a third up with sugar and then topping up with vodka or gin. I have to say, I have just tasted last year's blackberry vodka, which was sensational! I also sprinkle the alcohol-sodden fruit over the sponge.
However, here's the safe version. It's a very easy recipe, using bought stuff, I'm afraid! I use bought Madeira cake (not trifle sponges, as they go soggy); cut into pieces and put in glass bowl. Top with lots of fruit, whatever you like. I use frozen raspberries as they de-frost very well, and you can add frozen blackberries and/or fresh blueberries. Bananas is also good if it is not going to stand around for too long. Then I get Waitrose proper Vanilla Egg Custard, made with real cream, which is UTTERLY delicious - I use two pints - pour over sponge and fruit, and top with thick double cream.
You can also toast flaked almonds and sprinkle on the cream, but only at the last minute.
Or you could cook whole almonds with sugar over hot flame until they all caramelise; turn them out onto bakewell paper and leave till cold, then pound this praline in a plastic bag with the end of a rolling pin, and fold the bits into the cream before putting it on the trifle.
My daughter's confirmed trifle-hating friend ate this solidly for two days. :P
Alison.
Tigger
KG Regular

If you believe in the principle of eating seasonal fruits, a good winter trifle will have sponge cake or jam swiss roll slices, soaked in sherry or apple and orange juice for the alcohol free, topped with pieces of mandarins/clementines. Then pour on a pint of jelly made half and half with water and fruit juice. Topped with slices of banana. Then a custard/blancmange layer with a final piping of double cream.

Made one for last night's Bridge evening which was pineapple, orange and banana with chocolate (blancmange and decoration). Real success. No left overs!

In the summer, I'd use strawberries and/or raspberries with bananas and oranges.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Lizzie,
my banana and ginger trifle is famous from here to next door. It also involves NO cooking and takes about 15 minutes to assemble.

Ingredients.
1 Jamaican ginger cake.
Bananas (quantity is variable according to size of bowl but get about 6)
Candied Ginger.
1-2 Orange or 3-4 limes for juice.
1 carton of Ambrosia (the only kind that tastes well with this - sorry) readymade custard. (500g or 1000g again it depends on your bowl).
Double cream or whipping cream for the top (1/2 or 1pt).

Method.
chop up the ginger cake as desired to get it into the bowl.
Ditto the bananas. Keep one for decoration.
Soak the cake and bananas in the orange or lime juice.
Chop up the candied ginger and add to the bowl, but keep a little for decoration. Chop fairly fine as a big bit can be rather strong for little ones.
Stir gently.
Pour on the custard.
Whip the cream and spoon on top.
Decorate with the remaining chopped candied ginger and banana.
That's it! For an alcoholic version use a little less juice and some dark rum.
Regards Sally Wright.
lizzie
KG Regular

Cheers Sally, i'll make one of those. I was also thinking of the following too.

Madeira cake with raspberry conserve spread on soaked in raspberry and pmoegranate juice.

Layer of raspberries and pomegranate

Raspberry jelly

Custard made from egg yokes, full fat Jersey milk with double cream that has had the seeds and pod of vanilla soaked in it for 24 hours.

Top layer of loads of whipped double cream with a scattering of pomegranate and raspberries on top.

Any thoughts on this concoction folks? All opinions appreciated. Is there too much raspberry?
Lots of love

Lizzie
Alison
KG Regular

lizzie wrote:Any thoughts on this concoction folks? All opinions appreciated. Is there too much raspberry?

No. Yum. :lol:
Chantal
KG Regular

We used to have contract caterers in to our office who made the most wonderful apricot and banana trifle. Does anyone have a recipe? I think it was dried apricots they used.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic