Tomato Relish

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chez
KG Regular

The second recipe by request. This one is a NZ recipe and one which my mother made throughout our childhood (about 30 years ago). Great memories of coming home from school and smelling it cooking before we even got to the door. The driveway was about 1/3 mile long! It comes out a burnt sienna colour.

12 large tomatoes (peeled on unpeeled)
4 large onions
25g salt
500g brown sugar
Malt vinegar
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp flour
3 chillies

Cut tomatoes and onions into four or more pieces. Sprinkle with salt and leave overnight. Next day, pour off liquid , put tomatoe and onion mixture into a preserving pan (or large saucepan) with sugar and chillies. Add enough vinegar to cover. Bring to the boil. Simmer 1 1/2 hours. Mix flour, curry powder and mustard to a smooth paste wiht a little cold vinegar. Add to mixture and boil for 5 mins. Put into sterilised jars and seal tightly.

I seem to need to boil it quite a bit longer than 5 mins. It is a thinner viscosity than chutney though - should be spreadable without dripping off the knife. I don't bother peeling the tomatoes either, but that is down to personal preference.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Chez,

sounds good, does it keep in sterilized jars for long?

David
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Piglet

Keeps forever! Well saying that, it lasts at least two years (we usually eaten eat it by then - great on toast with cheese grilled on top). It has a similar keeping time to chutney though. Hope this helps.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

yum yum piggys bum
Chez
KG Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am easily amused!
lizzie
KG Regular

:lol:

Me too Chez, me too.

How many jars do you get from the above recipe? It's just that they're all greedy buggars in my house and it won't last five minutes. It sounds like it would go nice with a bit of Stilton or Dolcette cheese with some grapes.

Mmmmmmmmmmm Stilton
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Lizzie - Shouldn't be less than 4 x 1lb jars and probably more. I am a little vague as I adjust the recipe according to the number of tomatoes we have. I made 4 x 1lb jars worth this year, but can't remember if I halved the recipe to do it now. Such a good question. I'll take more notice this season!
lizzie
KG Regular

No probs Chez, will keep filling the jars until there's no mixture left.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic