Redcurrant Jelly

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chez
KG Regular

In response to Chantal's and other requests for this recipe - here 'tis. It is a French Recipe and one which works out perfectly every time. I have only made it with redcurrants though, so would be interested to hear how it turns out if anyone tries it with blackcurrants.

3lbs fresh red/blackcurrants
3 cups sugar
1/3 cup water

Put the currants and 1/3 cup water in a large saucepan and cook for about 8 mins over med-high heat.
Remove from heat and mash the fruit with a potato masher of back of wooden spoon.
Strain through a fine sieve into a large measuring cup, pressing on the solids to remove all of the juice. It should yield 4 cups of juice. Discard the solids.
Pour the juice into a saucepan and stir in the sugar. Place over med-high heat and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 mins.
Place a tablespoon of the jelly onto a cold plate (I put one in the freezer beforehand). It is ready once it ripples when pushed with your finger.
Remove from heat and skim off any foam (I barely get any, so I don't bother). Ladle jelly into sterilised jars wiping rims with dishcloth. Seal well.
In the meantime, bring a large stockpot of water to a boil and place jars in it. Allow to sit for 10 mins. Remove and let cool. Press the centre of the lids to check they don't give.

To be honest, I am not sure what the waterbath bit at the end does and not sure it is entirely necessary. I have done it each time though.
Also, mine never seems to yield 4 cups of juice, so I simply adjust the amount of sugar to the juice I end up with.