Roots

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jo H
KG Regular

This is a sort of rosti which I do for lunch sometimes.
Grate up in the food processor if you have one, any root veg, potato, turnip, parsnip, celeriac and an onion of course. Mix with an egg or too and herbs and seasoning, then spread half in heated frying pan. Now grate some cheese and spread over top and cover with rest of mixture. The whole thing should not be more than about 1" thick. When you think it's brown and crisp underneath, loosen it a bit and put a plate ontop. Turn upside down and slide back into pan to do other side.

Another one
Variation on Noakes Special according to my 40 year old kids. (Blue Peter remember}

Thinly slice any of afforesaid roots + onions+ squash and layer in baking dish with seasoning and grated cheese if you like. Pour some milk over top (not enough to drown it, just moisten) then dot with butter or drizzle with oil and bake in med oven for about 45 mins.

This one's leeks and a bit more fiddly

Make some thin pancakes and steam some chopped leeks briefly. Mix leeks with a knob of butter and season or not. Roll up spoonfuls of leek in pancakes and put in oven dish. Make a sauce(cheese, mushroom or white with some chopped cooked bacon)and pour over pancakes. Top with grated cheese. Bake for about 40 mins in med oven. The rolled up pancakes freeze very well without the sauce.

Didn't feel like gardening this afternoon.
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Jo

These recipes sound divine. Just my kind of food! We have celeriacs, onion, leeks and pumpkins, so what a great selection of recipes to throw them into. I work from home and can't wait until lunchtime tomorrow. Just need to decide which recipe to try first...hmmmm...
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

jo,why not try splitting the leek first (lenth ways) but not right through.spred leek with mustard,then roll sliced ham around leeks.cover with a cheese sauce and cook untill leeks are tender.
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Like Chez says they sound good. I have sown some celeriac in modules this week and have leeks, Chez`s pumpkin and other bits to have a bash with.

Keep those there recipes coming along people

Piglet
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic