seville orange marmalade

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

has anyone got a recipe for seville marmalade?
Love you lots like Jelly Tots

I'm too lazy and use tins or ready prepared, Mamade and get excellent results which means we eat twice as much , ah well !
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

thankyou guest for your reply,but could you please tell me what you were going on about? :? :? confused!
Sr Clare Julian

"Mamade" is tins of pure, prepared Seville oranges... saves all the cutting, long simmering of the peel etc...all you do is add sugar. Where they have a glut in the US they " can" them in the same way. It makes excellent marmalade and is available all year round. Google will give you dozens of good recipes..... some use a pressure cooker to save time and fuel; see
http://homecooking.about.com/library/ar ... jelly6.htm

or

http://thefoody.com/preserves/sevilleor ... alade.html

As you will see, it takes a long time/lot of fuel to cook...

Enjoy; the smell alone is worth it all.
John
KG Regular

Hello Grock
Tinned marmalade oranges - just add sugar - YUK YUK!!

We make a three-fruit chunky marmalade and if you have a pressure cooker and a food processor its really easy. Although I say it myself, its by far the best marmalade in town.

1. Take 1 lemon, 1 grapefruit and seville oranges to make up approx 1.5 kg of fruit. Note the number carefully (I'll call it x) as you will need it later on.
  2. Scrub the fruit and cook at the high pressure setting with x litres of water for 20 minutes. Allow the pressure cooker to cool, still under pressure, for 10 minutes before opening - this is important to the cooking process.
  3. Remove the fruit from the pan, cut in half and remove the pips.
  4. Return the pips to the juice and boil hard for 5 minutes.
  5. Stuff the cut fruit through your food processor using the coarse grater blade.
  6. Finally add the juice (through a sieve to remove pips), grated fruit and 2 x kg of sugar to your preserving pan. Boil hard, stirring continuously, until the setting point is reached. This wont take long - use a jam thermometer if you have one and take the temperature to 105°C.
  7. After cooling, with occasional stirring, pot into warm jars.

This will make about 4.5 kg (10lb) of marmalade.
If you don't have a pressure cooker but want to try this recipe, let me know. You can cook the fruit (part 2 above) in either a saucepan on top of the stove or a covered casserole in a slow oven but the proportions and times are different.

Good luck whatever method you try.

John
Last edited by John on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr Clare Julian

Interesting response, John. The Convent used to make the three-fruit in large quantities. Delicious. But I wonder if you have ever tried Ma-made? It too is delicious. And far easier for anyone less able-bodied or with less time etc. Fruit is fruit after all.
Gill

I too use Mamade and apart from being much less hassle it is available all year round, don't knock it unless you have tried it they make thick and thin cut
Sr Clare Julian

It occurred to me after I had posted; all they do is cut it, as we would in a food processor, then cook it under pressure in the tins..... Just the same as any recipe. Because they do this when the fruit is ripe, it uses fresher fruit in fact. So we take over at that stage of the recipe..I see no virtue in unnecessary work; and it is much cheaper also.
Belinda
KG Regular

Sorry but I'm a little confused by the x, do you mean the number of oranges needed to make up the weight or the figure of 1.5? I suspect it's the latter and in your example of 1.5kg of fruit you would add 1.5 litres of water and the 3kg of sugar - correct?
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

claire and john,thankyou very much for your ideas,i really like your one claire much for the none effort,you sound like my type of person(no effort and still the same results).although i will be trying yours john,but like the other reader im :? over the(x)
John
KG Regular

Hello again all
Sorry for the confusion.
You are right Belinda, it is the number of kg of the fruit that you need. When you are sorting out your fruit it wont weigh exactly 1.5 kg. It might only weigh 1.35 kg as an example, as you don't need to have to cut up oranges to get exactly 1.5kg. All the fruit needs to be cooked whole. So in this case you'll need 1.35 litres of water (1 litre + 350ml) for the initial cooking and then 2 times 1.35 kg (2.7kg or 2kg + 700g) of sugar for actually making the marmalade.

Hope this is clearer.

John

PS These proportions work for any combination of fruit. This three fruit one is really tangy.

PPS When you are actually making the marmalade, boil it as fast as you can to get to the setting point to keep the beautiful orangy colour. Marmalades have a lot of sugar in them and lengthy cooking soon makes them go a browny colour.

Dear Grock in the Frock... Thank you. I have little choice re short cuts because of disability. We sometimes refer to what is called the " protestant work ethic"; folk thinking that only things that make you sweat are of value. I don't believe that. And my illness affirms easier ways...
I enjoy all I make, but don't go to great lengths over it. Jam I make in stages now and it tastes as good. And many who work full-time just cannot take hours over things; we can still all enjoy all we do in our different ways.
One very small point of protocol; it is always" Sister Clare" or just "Sister"; part of the rules of the Order.... forgive me for mentioning that, please.
Sr Clare Julian

Unintentional anonymous guest, but I said who I was; sorry......
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

thankyou sister.say 10 hail marys and 1 our father and you will be forgiven :D
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Whoever said use ma made seville oranges deserves a big kiss.

I knocked up 2 tins worth this evening and ended up with 11 1lb jars plus a bit over. As for taste, well it tastes every bit as good as the marmalade I made last autumn from fresh fruit but without about 4 hours of slicing and dicing seville oranges.
In addition the stuff is free of nasties and already comes with the pectin added.

Quality.

David
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic