seville orange marmalade

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Gill

Glad you liked it, the secret of being a good cook is knowing which shortcuts to take and still get excellent results, I love food and cooking but I am no slave to hours of needless work, enjoy your marmalade but because you know how easy it is and available year round you end up eating more!!!
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

went to tescos for marmade and got funny looks from staff when i asked 4 it,where do you buy marmade from
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Gill

The last lot I got in Booths which is a local firm a bit like Waitrose, try Asda or Morrisons if you have those in Liverpool it comes in large Tins and is spelt Mamade no R and is just prepared seville oranges if you explain you might get more help !
Tigger
KG Regular

OK - Mamade's acceptable but if you want that contrast between sweet and sour that you get from proper Seville marmalade - you have to make it from scratch. The time is in the preparation - cutting up those d*** bits of peel. However, when you eat the marmalade on a summer's morning or make a wonderful chocolate and orange tart with the preserve (recipe could be available.....) you know why you went to all that trouble.
Gill

Mamade is purely prepared seville oranges either thin cut or thick cut, forgive me but I fail to see how it can differ from what you prepare yourself ! perhaps you could enlighten me ? I await you reply
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I jar, bottle, jam and preserve anything I can from garden and plot and in most things you can "taste the difference" with home made being much better.

However with seville orange marmalade, I have tried it both ways, preparing from scratch and using ma made and for once found no difference. I was actually glad as it saves a huge amount of labour.

However I add one caveat and that is you dont get quite the satisfaction using ma made as with making from scratch (or is that relief that the last bit of peel is sliced). I suppose it depends on how puritanical your view regarding "home made" is.

Also seville oranges only have a smallish seasonal window to buy and use but the ma made is a year round product.

Grock in the frock, at our tescos the ma made is with the jams and marmalades not with tinned fruit.

David
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

thanks gill,thanks pigletwillie,ill try again too find the mamade.buy the way ...why the name pigletwillie?..........mind you thinking about it now i think you can leave the explananatoin :oops:
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Grock,

somethings are just best left to the immagination eh!

David :lol: :lol: :shock:
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

pigletwillie.your right some things are better left too the imagination,but its give me a bloody good laugh,people keep asking me why i keep smirking :D anyway, enough of this convo,i already have a reputation of turning things into a farce,i will just carry on my day in the grocks world, :D :? :shock: :twisted:
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

at last i have found mamade.went back 2 tescos and found it with the jams,hoooraaaay.will be making it this weekend if the hangover is not too bad,going to theater to sing along with the sound of music.maria von-trap eat your heart out.all together now..........high on a hill stood a lonley goat turd! :D
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Grock,

I fear that you have been cooking with aluminium pans for too long :shock:

Tescos are a bit odd with things like that. I once spent half an hour looking for pudding rice, believe it or not in the rice section only to find it with the tinned rice pudding. The same with the ma made, I looked in the fruit section only to find it with the Jam.

Is it me?

Piglet
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Tigger
KG Regular

Sorry - got to reply - not least because I bought 30Kg of organic Seville oranges today.

The difference in taste is obvious because it's more complex, not so sweet and varies in texture.

There's room for all views and I'm not being pedantic about this. Suffice to say it takes a big chunk out of one week-end but keeps us in enough to eat, cook with and give away for 52 weeks.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Have you ever tried Mamade?

As said in an earlier post I cant taste the difference having made it both ways but then I cant taste the diffence between 1987 and 1992 Chateau Neuf du Pape. To be honest whether you chop up fresh oranges or use tinned, by the time you have boiled it up to setting point there is no difference in texture.

Anyway as you said it takes all sorts, I prefer to spend the time saved doing something enjoyable and after 5Kg, slicing orange peel isnt.

Piglet
Last edited by pigletwillie on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chantal
KG Regular

Grock

Be careful at that sing a long Sound of Music. There was a show in our area a couple of years ago and during the Best Dressed Nun competition the extended stage collapsed into the orchestra pit and 20 of the nuns disappeared in a puff of dust! Half the audience thought it was part of the show and were cheering them on. Better yet, on the TV coverage at the time there were loads of people wandering around dressed as the Von Trapp family and nuns (obviously) but also mountains and brown paper parcels (tied up with string). My favourite quote was from the recent court case when one lady said "I thought a bomb had gone off, I came round, lying in the orchestra pit with a large nun with a beard lying across me". I know it's bad of me as people were injured, but I get the giggles every time I hear about it. You have a good time now...
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Chez
KG Regular

Well, I don't know about how the two approaches differ, but the Ma Made version from Piglet's Pantry is lovely. Intense fruity flavour. Just how we like it. Yes Piglet, we couldn't wait for breakfast tomorrow, so we dipped a spoon in to try. Then another...and another. Put the lid on after that. Don't think it is going to last long! Thanks too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic