Green Tomato Relish

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tigger
KG Regular

I think I promised to post this one after the Spring Malvern Show. It's an American recipe that's a great success.

Combine 3.5kg sliced green tomatoes with 1.25kg sliced onions in a bowl.
Sprinkle with 130g salt.
Stir, cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.

Rinse in cold water and drain. Set aside.

Place 900g of brown sugar and 1.5 litres of cider vinegar in a pan and bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved.

Stir in 1350g of chopped, mixed, sweet peppers, 6 finely chopped cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon of dry mustard and salt to taste.

Add the tomatoes and onions mixture. Stir well.

Place 1 tblsp cloves with 1 tblsp ginger and 1 and 1/2 tsp celery seeds in a cloth with 1.8cm cinnamon stick.

Add to mixture.

Simmer, stirring often, until tomatoes are translucent. Remove cloth and spices. Bottle in sterilised jars whilst hot. Store for 3 months before opening.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

nice one tigger,i've not had much joy with me toms this year due to the weather,infact most of me crops have been poor.poor toms are ether green and taking ages to ripen or their red and all sqwishey,im gonna use me preservin pan and do your recipe.THANKYOU :D
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
sprout
KG Regular

We make mango chutney from our green tomatoes every year. This one is hot, sweet/sour, smooth and fruity. If you enjoy mango chutney and have plenty of green tomatoes, worth a go?

Black Mango Chutney (with Green Tomatoes)

3 kg green tomatoes
8 oz (250g) dried dates
8 oz (250g) raisins
Just under 1 pint white wine or cider vinegar (400-500ml)

16 bay leaves
4 tsp red pepper (chilli powder)
4 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground nutmeg or mace

1 tsp crushed peppercorns
1 tsp crushed brown cardamom seed
4 tsp whole black cumin seed (kala zeera)
2 tbs salt

4 tbs fresh lime or lemon juice
2 lb (1kg) sugar

Optional:
4 oz (125g) shelled pistachio nuts
8 oz (250g) toasted almonds

Cook the green tomatoes briefly: in a pressure cooker, bring to H and let pressure drop naturally. Or boil and let cool. Sieve the pulp or put it through a passata machine. Gently simmer to reduce the pulp to 2 litres (reduce volume by approx. 1/3) in a stainless steel pan. (I do this the day before, and the rest the following day)

Simmer dates and raisins in vinegar until soft. Add them to the reduced green tomato pulp in the pan. Simmer slowly for about an hour until all ingredients are soft, stirring now and then to prevent sticking. Take off the heat and blend for a smooth chutney (hand blender is easiest).

Add salt, sugar, bay leaves, and spices. Simmer for another hour or two until it becomes a thick puree.

Add the lime or lemon juice (and nuts, if you wish). Simmer gently for another hour or so until desired thickness is reached. Remove from heat and pour into sterilised jars.

Yields approx 8lb/4 kg or 4 litres of ‘mango’ chutney.

Image :D :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic