Bread maker

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

John
KG Regular

Hello Elle
I just don't know the answer to this one I'm afraid. I've been using Doves yeast for quite a few years and although I've had a few duff loaves now and again its never been the yeast's fault. It always been something I've forgotten or variations in the flour.
Forgive me for asking but I assume you choose the Italian program on the machine? When I'm adding ingredients to the bread pan I always sprinkle them evenly and after adding the flour I give it a sharp tap to level it so that everything is in layers before finally adding the liquid. I don't think that this is the answer to your problem but it does help to give consistent results.

I haven't made this type of loaf for sometime so I'll give a go tomorrow and see how it turns out.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Thanks John and Tony,

The yeast is definitley the bread making sort - all ready made that mistake Tony :evil: . I do almost exactly that John, tap it all down before putting on the liquid. May be it is variations of flour batches? I am using the Italian setting, and I religiously check the recipie sheets each time because I know that the minute I relax I will forget something important - like yeast or flour :lol: :lol: The results are always edible, just not as beautifully scrummy, but I will keep at it and probably try the Hovis yeast again just for a scientific approach... :wink:

p.s. This morning we had the best large white basic loaf for a while, I opened a new bag of flour last night!
Kind regards,

Elle
Tony Hague
KG Regular

For the Italian programmes, it is well worth experimenting with flour. Some work well, others produce a loaf with a sunken top and a cakey texture. There is more than just protein level that affects the results - there is also a thing called the Hagberg number, which relates to enzyme activity, and affects bread making quality. Since there's nothing on the packet about this, you can only experiment. Waitrose strong organic white works OK for me.

BTW, I have also heard some say that the Panasonic machines may not produce a well risen loaf when the room temperature is really low, especially if starting with very cold water. I've not noticed it myself though.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Thanks Tony, that is really useful :D . I will keep at it, it seems to be a case of different recipies require different ingredients - which is fair enough!
Kind regards,

Elle
John
KG Regular

Made an Italian loaf today and it was fine with an excellent rise. I followed the recipe in the machine's book exactly but did add a 1/4 tsp of vit C powder just to be sure of a good rise. Used Matthews flour and Doves yeast.
I agree with Tony about almost all problems being due to the flour. I've always found that Carrs, which is sold specifically for bread machines, gives the most consistent results.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
retropants
KG Regular

What an extremely interesting thread!
I have been using my panasonic for 4 years now. I get the odd duff loaf, mainly these are the gluten free ones for me, but DH's bread is always fine and dandy. I use dove's yeast and asda strong brown & white bread flour. Also I sometimes use doves malted grain flour, but it quite expensive to use all the time. I also use it for Dh's pizza bases (I have to use revolting ready made GF ones) Basically It is a great piece of kit. I used to labour over making my own bread the traditional way, but working full time with a very full hobby calendar etc, I barely have time to sit down for 5 mins in the evenings, so I cannot rate my machine high enough. I'm afraid I am not very scientific about the procedre, I do bung the things in the tin in the right order, but accuracy is near miss at best and everything just gets thrown in and the machine switched on and I wak away, probably to make some soap or similar!!

edited cause it's hobby, not hooby!
Last edited by retropants on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
cherrystone
KG Regular

I have had a Panasonic bread maker for 5years and use it every other day, and if I get a duff loaf it is my fault for having left something out! I also tend to throw stuff like a bit of left over mashed potato orsweet potato. I also soak almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seed and then whizz them and then just add alittle less water and any other seeds hang around, linseed sesame and occasionally a couple of brazil nuts. I use the small packets of yeast as I did find that the small tins seemed to lose their effectivness despite the amount that I use.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic