Bread maker

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

John
KG Regular

Hello All
Wholemeal loaves can be a bit on the heavy side as Tigger says. I usually use 70% or 50% etrong wholemeal flour and the rest is strong white flour. The instruction book for my machine (Panasonic) suggests using 1/4 tsp of vit C powder as a flour enhancer with the 100% and 70% wholemeal loaves and I've found that this works really well, giving a good light loaf.

John
Molly
KG Regular

Yes, using wholemeal flour does produce a denser loaf which many people don't care for. Also, unless you use organic flour, there is probably likely to be less pesticide residue in white flour (because the husk is discarded). Depends how purist you want to be and what you want from your loaf. As to bread makers being "easier", again I guess it depends on what you want from the whole process (if it's easy hot morning bread, why bother making it at all, why not just buy ready-to-bake stuff?). I love the act of making my own bread. It's easier and less time consuming than people think (you don't have to watch the oven any more than you'd watch a bread maker!), and the washing up is minimal compared to a machine full of removable cantanklements! Horses for courses, I suppose.
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fence post
Gill - Guest

For the milk rolls
5 fluid oz Milk
8oz strong white flour
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1tsp salt
1/2 oz butter
1/2 tsp rapid rise yeast

For the wholemeal
6 fluid ozs water
6 oz strong wholemeal flour
3 ozs strong white flour
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 oz butter
1/2 tsp rapid rise yeast

for the topping I beaten egg
rolled oats,cracked wheat, poppy seeds or sesame seeds

put milk in bread machine add flour to cover milk then add salt sugar and butter then yeast(or reverse these instructions if that is how your machine says)set machine on basic dough and start machine, lightly oil a 10 inch springform loose based cake tin.when the dough is finished place in a greased bowl cover with cling film and place in fridge.
now make the whole meal dough taking the white dough out of fridge 20 mins befor brown dough ready.
divide the white dough into 9 balls and the brown into 10 balls place 12 balls around outer edge of cake tin alternating milk and wholemeal add an inner circle of 6 balls and place remaining wholemeal one in centre cover the cake tin with oiled clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 30-45 mins until doubled in size preheat oven to 200 c or gas 6 brush with egg use one topping on wholemeal and another on the milk bake 35-40 mins leave for 5 mins to cool in tin then place on a wire rack.
I usually make 2 and freeze 1 Enjoy my friends are always suitably impressed !
Recipe taken from Bread Machines and Beyond
Carole B.
KG Regular

Hi All,
there's certainly lots of advice flowing here and if one thing is emerging it's that everyone has their own way of making bread but you're all passionate about it!
I'm still experimenting and there hasn't been a failure yet so I'm very pleased with it.My machine doesn't have lots of parts to clean,just the main pot and the paddle which only need wiping out with a damp cloth after use. It's also being used by the lads to make pizza dough so perhaps they had an ulterior motive!
Carole.
mandylew
KG Regular

I was planning to traet myself in January, Ive heard morphy richards and asda own make popular. any recommendations under £50?
Jenny Green
KG Regular

This seems to be turning into a 'which is easier, making your own or a breadmaker?' debate!
In answer to Molly's question about why not just buy ready to bake bread for hot, fresh bread first thing in the morning, it is because I don't want to have to get up and put it in the oven and wait for it to bake, and because I want to eat bread that isn't full of additives. I could well ask why don't you just buy ready to bake bread?
I can see that there are many satisfactions to be gained from making your own, but it simply can't be argued that it's in any way easier. My breadmaker has only one thing to wash and usually I just wipe it out (like a bread tin). For those of us with extremely busy lives, it is an excellent alternative to making your own and it's an awful lot simpler. If you use fresh yeast and flour and the correct proportions things rarely go wrong.
Sorry I can't offer any advice to Mandylew. Mine is a Breville Compact Breadmaker Bread Oven. It makes many different kinds of bread, prepares dough for pizzas etc. and can even make cakes and jam. I highly recommend it but don't know how much it is because it was a present.
Carole B.
KG Regular

The breadmaker is so easy to use,this morning I had to go into town (flat tyre yesterday!) so I loaded the machine before I left to do a dough mix for rolls which was ready for shaping when I came back and I am about to take them out of the oven now!Fabulous!!!
My 15 year old has taken to eating the wholemeal ones..this is a totally unknown phenomenom!!
Carole.
Molly
KG Regular

Yes, you're right of course. Working from home, with a 4-bedroom house and large garden to look after, plus a husband who's just had a double stroke, of course I have too much time on my hands and really ought to invest in a bread maker. :wink:
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fence post
richard p
KG Regular

if u are buying a new one there are basically two sizes available, we got the largeest which is roughly the same as a large shop loaf,
valmarg

I think the breadmaker is the most overrated piece of kitchen equipment going!!

I make my own fresh bread using the Kitchen Aid. It is a cross between a breadmaker and manual breadmaking, insofar as when you have put the basic ingredients into the mixer, the machine gives the dough a very good kneading. You then leave the dough to rise, followed by knocking back and shaping into rolls, or placing into tins to rise, before baking.

I have found that Waitrose Canadian strong bread flour gives a very good result. Also I have been buying fresh yeast from Sainsbury's bakery counters. 99p for an 850 gram block is very good value for money! At that price, you can do a lot of yeast baking, and not be too bothered about waste. When you go to the Sainsbury's bakery counter, you should ask for "a block of fresh yeast". They do seem to know what you are asking for, but not all branches supply fresh yeast. Some of the smaller branches do not.

Another bread maker's bible should be The Bread Book, by Linda Collister and Anthony Blake,ISBN 1-85029-532-8. If nothing else the Pioneer Bread is wonderful!!

Happy New Year to you all, and a successful sowing and growing year,

Love and kisses,

valmarg

Disability in the family brings new aspects into everything...and leads to ingenuity.....I invested years ago in a Kenwood to knead and mix; it makes all I need. Pastry, cakes, bread...Just one bowl and the hook to wash. It was that or give up on home cooking. I cannot stay on my feet long enough else.
I did have a breadmaker for a while, but the old way is easier; and in winter the warmth from the oven is sheer bliss..
And for everyday I use Lidl basic bread. here in Ireland it is 35 cents a big loaf and makes excellent toast. Peat fire toast with home made wild blackerry jam.... And Tesco and the other big supermarkets had to reduce prices too. "Real " bread is for special occasions as is soda bread.
Deb P
KG Regular

I've just bought another Morphy Richards Fastbake breadmaker, the larger (up to 2lb loaf) one, very easy to use and always good results. My mother has the highly rated Panasonic model, but it takes ages to do the same thing (look at the reviews on Amazon), I'm too busy/impatient! I would also recommend Shipton Mill flour, really good range especially of grains and organic, and they deliver to your door, the more you buy the cheaper it is. I enjoy making bread by hand too, but the best bit is having total control over what you put in your bread however you make or bake it!
Carole B.
KG Regular

Which ever way you choose to bake bread surely the most important thing is being able to have the choice,as in all things.Molly's way works for her and thats good,the breadmaker works for me,it isn't a matter of which is better.When I put up the first post I didn't realise that I was opening an enormous can of worms!
Carole.

:D Don't worry. There are so many strong individuals here. I don't see it as a can of worms; it all adds spice..... And, as with other topics, yes, the choice is yours. I did once have a breadmaker but it died a horrible sticky death just within the guarantee period...... I would rather have the dehydrator than a breadmaker.
Jo H
KG Regular

I too have acquired a breadmaker having spotted a book called Gluten Free Breads from your Breadmaker. My husband and grandson are coeliacs and I make about 2 or 3 different kinds of bread a week and it's wonderful! They won't touch the bought stuff, its like sawdust. Sometimes I make proper wholewheat for me as well and that's good too.
Jo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic