Pickled Gherkin Recipe

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Arnie
KG Regular

Have any of you kind people ever pickled gherkins :roll: I have grown them for this first time this year and fingers crossed it looks like I will be having a bumper crop despite me growing them up canes instead of along wires :roll: but that's for next year.

Has anybody got a recipe on how to prepare gherkins for Pickling or can you please point me in the right direction :wink:

Cheers Arnie
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
retropants
KG Regular

Depending whether you are slicing or pickling whole, I can help!
Slice the gherkins and soak in brine for a few hours or overnight. Rinse very well and leave to drain. Pop into a jar with dill flowers (if you've grown them, or just dried dill if you haven't). Top up with malt vinegar. My dad loves them. hope that helps.
Geoff
KG Regular

My wife pickles them small and whole. Nick a small hole in them with a knife, sprinkle with salt and leave for a few hours, rinse and dry and pop in a jar of pickling vinegar. No need to fill the jar in one go just add them as you harvest them. She doesn't use dill (we used to hate dill pickle on everything when we spent some time in USA).
Breq
KG Regular

Hi Arnie! I really don't like vinegary things at all but I have done a sweet sliced refrigerator pickles with my gherkins - very easy. Recipe was in a Waitrose magazine some years ago.

Slice the gherkins into 1cm slices, sprinkle with coarse salt and leave in fridge for 12 hours. Put 200ml cider vinegar, 200ml water, 150g caster sugar, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 5 black peppercorns, 2 star anise into a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Rinse the salted gherkins under cold water; shake off and pack into sterilised jars with dill sprigs. Cover them with the hot pickling solution (take out the star anise), tapping to remove any bubbles. Cover while hot. Let it cool down to room temerpature before storing in the fridge. Leave at least 1 week before eating (I sometimes wait a couple of months). You can change the flavourings as you like (no star anise,then leave it out; really like dill? add more!)

I have a non-refrigertor version of the same, but these are dead easy, so I default to these. I also make a US-style hot dog relish and a burger relish that use cucumbers/gherkins.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for not replying sooner, will find out in about 2 weeks if I was successful.

Cheers Arnie
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Breq
KG Regular

Good luck! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic