Rhubarb Wine?

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

daxtell71
KG Regular

Does anyone have a succesfull recipe for this I have a lot of Rhubarb and want to do something more creative with it than my normal stewed or Nans crumble recipe.

Deb
Daxtell71 :D

How many beans make five? :lol:
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My Dad used to make this one and I have made gallons of it, to be honest the early rhubarb that's pink and sweeter makes a better blush wine, the later stuff we used to make alcho pops with(this was in the 1960's I wish we had thought to take out a patent lol).
Dry sugar method.
3lb of rhubarb
bag of sugar
yeast
yeast nutrient
bucket
funnel
sieve
demi john/air lock
I have made so much of this I remember the recipe by heart..................
chop rhubarb into one inch chunks(this is a 1960's pre decimal edition)
put in bucket, cover with sugar and cover with a tea towel.
leave for three days, stirring a couple of times a day, if you want to make alcho pop, ad d half a pound of blackcurrants or Raspberries.
strain rhubarb through sieve with funnel into demi john, add some water(a pint or two) to the pulp stir and strain again into demi john to get the sugar that's left into the demi john.
Add yeast and nutrient and top up demi john until you have a gallon.
Add an air lock and ferment out in a warm place.
Once fermentation finishes and wine is clear(usually around 4-6 weeks) syphon off into clean bottles and drink after a further 4 weeks, this wine does not keep, it needs to be drunk before Christmas.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
daxtell71
KG Regular

Wonderful thanks we shall definately be trying this recipe. Just need to get the Sugar and the Yeast and we are all set. :-)

Best wishes or should I say Cheers

Debs

retropants
KG Regular

That sounds good, I've made all sorts of wine, mainly using the very old marguerite pattern book.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

It wasn't my Dads recipe, not sure where he got it from, CJ Berry wine books are good basic books to use, I made loads of them years back, got a bit lazy now and haven't made any wine for a couple of years.
Stephen
KG Regular

The alternative is cordial.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
hollyMiller
KG Regular

I had no idea before that you could make a wine from rhubarb. Is it really tasty? Just asking because I really enjoy making wine by myself. Last year I made wine from cherry. But these year I decided to make it from sweet cherry. But now I'm thinking about making rhubarb wine as it sounds more interesting.
Westi
KG Regular

Holly you will defiantly find lots of surprises on here, especially if you get a rainy day to look back on some of the older posts! (Not likely in the next couple of days unless you are way north) :) Love your aviator btw! Too cute, is it your kitten? My black cat is 19 1/2yrs old, gone a bit brown rather than black with the years of sunbathing in the garden but still eating me out of house & home! :)
Westi
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I don't really "get" country wines - they are really fermented granulated sugar flavoured with botanicals. Very few things have enough sugars of their own to be worth fermenting. I stick to honey and grapes.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

You are missing out then Tony, all the more for those who enjoy them, there's a company near me that cannot keep up with demand if you can't make your own.
https://www.cairnomohr.com/
Elahid
KG Regular

I've made a lot of rhubarb wine, and the best tip I ever got was from a J.E. Underhill who told me to put in a can of pineapple juice for every 5 gallon batch. You won't be able to taste pineapple in the finished blend, but people will ask, 'Is this Chardonnay?", "Is this Pinot Blanc?", "Is this Viognier?". It makes an amazing difference.
Westi
KG Regular

Interesting! Not into making wine as too many mishaps & no space & the ginger beer my nana made as a kid came with the price of clearing up the mess from the explosions she had. Anyway transgressing! That make sense really, like a umami to balance the flavours!
Westi
daxtell71
KG Regular

Exciting times we have just started brewing the Rhubarb in the demi john and its looking rather interesting. Its watch this space time lol

Deb :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic