Sorrel omelette

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

I've grown sorted this year from a packet of seed I bought last year in France. The variety is 'large de Bellville' and I think it's the equivalent of Buckler leaves sorrel. I've been putting off using it so far, mainly because I haven't cooked with it before. I had a browse through my old Elizabeth David 'French Regional Cookery' and found a few recipes but settled on a Marie Claire version of 'omelette à l'oseille'.
Take a bunch of sorrel, strip out the midribs and roughly chop the leaves. Sweat down in a pan with some butter and seasoning, it quickly turns to a purée without the need for extra water or much help from a spoon. Put a few tablespoons of the purée into a separate bowl and stir in a few tablespoons of double cream.
Whisk up as many eggs as you like with a bit of !milk and seasoning then add the rest of the sorted purée. Cool your omelette as usual. Before folding it, spread the creamed sorted in the middle of the omelette.
I will declare now that hubby and I thought this was one of the nicest omelettes we've had. Such a different flavour to anything else, slightly year and lemony but creamy and savoury at the same time. We had it with skinny fried and salad. Highly recommened.
Primrose
KG Regular

Interesting to read of your experiment Vivien because I once fried cooking with sorrel leaves and they disintegrated I to a muddy coloured looking mush. Very offputting visually and am afraid aI couldn,t get past that point as it looked like the precursor for a tablet or two of Imodium !.

Must try and pluck up courage to try your recipe as currently have some sorrel going to waste in the garden. Generally use just a few of the very young leaves in a mixed green salad.
vivienz
KG Regular

I know exactly what you mean, Primrose, it is an off-putting colour but I had read about this and so was prepared for the effect. The thing that made me persevere was the flavour of the sorrel and cream mixture that I tasted before cracking the eggs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic