I rate this Squash!

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

This year I grew a new squash - Australian Butter. (What do you mean I have a theme)? :) As it was raining it was opportunistic to make some pumpkin soup & scones & what a little beauty this turned out to be. For a start you don't need a chain saw to cut it or skin it & seed cavity is quite small & easy to scoop out with a spoon. The butter in the name I feel relates to how easy it cooks down to a smooth sauce which would be easy to do with a fork if you didn't have a blender. Colour slightly more mustard than orange & a slight sweetness. I have to try it roasted which will be tomorrow but I think it will be quicker than QLD Blue so best pay attention as it will be burnt not caramelised!

Didn't save any seeds today but plan to from the others, so if anyone wants a try I'm happy to send you some seeds if you pm me. I made a spicy soup with coconut milk with asian spices & chilli & a bog standard creamy one & scones were lush as well!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

I'll look out for it.
I like "Hunter" for a butternut squash but having another would be interesting.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

The sad thing is that unless you have enough space to geow your own it,s hard to obtain a lot of squash varieties. They're just not available in supermarkets. We used to regularly visit a lovely Grow Your Own Farm nr Hailsham in East Sussex called Sharnfold where they used to grow virtually every variety under the sun. (Well worth a visit if you happen to be nearby - their autumn display is wonderful). We would visit every autumn and stock up for the winter. Crown Prince is a lovely variety too but rather large and then once you cut them open you have a problem preventing the flesh from rotting unless you freeze chunks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic