Artichokes

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Has anyone got a recipe that actually works for brining or putting wee baby ones quartered in olive oil to preserve them? I really like them this way and so convenient to use. However all attempts have failed as the chosen liquid discolours no matter how much lemon used on cut surfaces & how green & fresh they looked when going in.

I think they may be overcooked first but would really like to succeed in keeping some as my plants are very prolific. The ones on the plant now are a bit big so I will leave one plant to flower for the bees and will chop back the others & feed them to get one last crop of baby ones to try again.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Sorry Westi, can't help as I've never grown them but are there any special rules about preserving vegetables in oil? Don't want to rain on your parade with this but some years ago I tried to preserve some sun dried herb tomatoes in olive oil and although I kept them in the fridge the oil went mouldy and I seem to remember reading at the time there was a danger of botulism developing unless you know what you're doing.

PS. some interesting information here: http://www.feastingathome.com/olive-oil ... egetables/
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Primrose.

I can already see where I went wrong - I just used olive oil alone with no vinegar. (That's what the recipe said)! I'm always very aware of the risks with preserving which is why I wanted to get it absolutely right. That seems a good site, but I will do more research, it is obviously doable as you can buy them.

Thanks again!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I also only used olive oil and no vinegar when I made my sun dried tomatoes in oil so if I have a surplus this year I will try again with a little vinegar and see what happens, although I must confess the sight of the olive oil solidifying in the fridge is a little offputting.
robo
KG Regular

I realise this is the wrong thread but anyone have a recipe for preserving garlic in oil or vinegar
Westi
KG Regular

Personally Robo, I would think same rules would apply!

Tomatoes, garlic, artichokes. I will search more for the ratio of acid & veg used & cooking time. Not got enough garlic to try it but maybe next year?
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic