Pumpkin Recipes for Halloween and Beyond

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Cullen87
KG Regular

Hey,

I thought you might like these pumpkin recipes.

It's sad that so many pumpkins are wasted as they're so versatile!

https://olioex.com/pumpkin-halloween-recipes
Westi
KG Regular

Love pumpkin, one of my favourite veg.

Thanks for the link Cullen87! My personal favourite is soup - either plan, moroccan spices, or like the laska with coconut milk & chilli & stuff! Also partial to a pumpkin scone!

Westi
Westi
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Thanks for this link - I will try the roasted seeds SIX ways!

Does anyone have a nice soup recipe that is not too watery and has a bit of a kick?
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
peter
KG Regular

OscarSidcup wrote:.....
Does anyone have a nice soup recipe that is not too watery and has a bit of a kick?

For gallon or two of Crown Prince and Bacon soup.
Gently fry 2lb or more of chopped onions. (Throughout all of this keep an eye on the pot stirring as appropriate )
Sainsburys Basics range whole packet ofbacon slicer waste smoked bacon, try and pick one with the big bits off the end rather than too thin or danaged rashers. Slice or dice to your preference and add to the slightly caramelised onions.
Add either fresh chopped garlic or dried garlic to your taste.
Top & tail, then slice about 2lb of carrots and add them.
Peel and chop into 1" to 2" pieces and add about 2lb of potatoes, not disintegrating ones
Add stock, either homemade chicken carcass for choice, or boiling water with oxo beef or chicken.
CP is hard as wood so be ready for knife skids and knife suddenly winning over CP in a rush.
Carefully use a strong sharp sturdy knife on a good chopping board to halve a Crown Prince squash vertically after knocking off the stalk, scoop out the seeds. Place a half cut side down and slice the skin off around the bottom, stalk side don't worry about the in-curve where the stalk was. Do as high up as you're comfortable with.
Then halve it into two quarters, place the unskinned side on the board and finish skinning.
When you have four skinned quarters chunk them, I usually cut the triangles off and then put the big bit, seed side down for this.
Optionally add chopped sweet peppers and or chilli peppers, this xan be the kick if you lije them.
Add it all and adjust stock so all the solids are just covered.
Simmer until everything is cooked through.
Season as you go with this recipe, I favour Red & Black coarse ground pepper and any combination or omission of the following; paprika, smoked paprika, garam masala, curry type spices.

At this point I used to use a wand blender to liquedise the whole pot, mire recently I haven't bothered, just leaving it chunky.

Perhaps do a bland base and then after tasting add the "kick" spices of your choice.
If you take the core of this recipe and play with the spices and high flavour ingredients you'll arrive at something that you like.
    With or without garlic.
    Smoked, unsmoked or no bacon.
    Chopped chicken
    Homemade chicken stock or oxo type
    Whatever spice you like.
    Fresh ginger diced down very small and chucked in the oil just before the onions.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Please remember folks

A Pumpkin is Not Just for Halloween.
DSC_7955-web.jpg
DSC_7955-web.jpg (193.57 KiB) Viewed 10267 times

Please do not get a pumpkin unless you are prepared to give it your all consuming attention

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Just got to find an easier way of peeling them. If you microwave it for a bit it is easier to peel, but you have to cut through it first to do this! (unless you have a huge microwave)! :D

I often give up the microwave bit & roast the pumpkin in the skin, rather than boil it into softness, then just peel the skin off and just add it to the soups as it just dissolves into hot stock & a bit of a zap with the hand blender does the rest. Gives another layer of flavour with the caramelised bits as well.

Westi
Westi
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Thanks Peter, this sounds super tasty so will try it next week :D
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Saw that they are making Halloween Trumpkins in America, scary.
KG Steve
KG Editor

Hi Folks. You'll find another pumpkin recipe (for meat eaters) here: https://www.jenreviews.com/prime-rib/ Plus many others. Do give it a look.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
robo
KG Regular

Thank you for the recipes they have come at just the right time
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic