Chillies in vodka - thanks!

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Molly

To whoever posted the recipe (on the old forum) for chillies preserved in vodka - THANK YOU! I threw a handful of small hot chillies into a jar of vodka 2 months ago and have just used some to flavour a stew. FABULOUS!
peterf
KG Regular

molly,if you use vodka for making stews im comming for dinner :lol:
mvnorwood
KG Regular

I'm looking for a good recipe to use my mountains of chillies.

Anyone got a suggestion?

Something like a pickle or soem way of creating 'lazy' chillies would be great.
Molly

Unfortunately, the cooking process probably drives off any giggling and falling-over qualities the vodka might impart to the stew! My suggestion for lazy chillies would be to hang them up in a warm place to dry, then crumble them as you need them.
Jude
KG Regular

My mum always used to have a bottle of chillies in sherry about the place for livening-up boring soups or stews. Used in our family for generations I believe, and called 'Harry-hotters'!! Grandpa was out in Inja doncha know!
Sue
KG Regular

Mvnorwood you asked for an easy pickled chilli recipe.

Get a couple of jars with non-metalic lids as the vinegar will rust them otherwise. It's best to split the chillies in half as otherwise the vinegar doesn't get into them to preserve the inside. Your choice or not whether to remove the seeds. The eventual pickle will be hotter if you leave them in. Pack the chillies in the jars.

You need about 2/3 white sugar to whatever volume of white wine vinegar you need to fill the jars. Warm them up together in a pan until the sugar had dissolved and add any other flavourings you fancy - I usually chuck in a few mustard seeds and a couple of bay leaves.

Pour the hot liquid over the chillis and seal the jar. If you tap the base of the jar gently on the worktop it helps get any air bubbles out.

Keep in a cool dark place and in the fridge after opening. You can start using the chillis after 3 weeks. The sugar just calms the chillies down a bit to make them good to eat as they are as pickles, but they are also good to chuck in other dishes like salsa and cheese on toast. When you have eaten them, the vinegar syrup will be chilli hot and is also good for cooking with.

Enjoy :lol:
mvnorwood
KG Regular

Sounds gorgeous

Have lots frozen at the moment so will prbably use some of these.
ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

I have a couple of things that I do with chillies to preserve them.

1. HARISSA. Place Red Chillies, Fresh Coriander, a sprinkle of sugar, Pinch of Sea salt into a blender, whizz and add Olive Oil to make a paste. Place into sterilised jars and pop into the fridge. Keeps for months. Use in pasta, into soups & stews,onto Pitta bread & then grilled, as a dip for veggies, in a tagine etc etc. Its uses are endless.

2. BLACK (or)GREEN OLIVE & CHILLI TAPENADE. Either buy or make up a tapenade and add Red Chilli whizz in blender and away you go. Red Chilli, Olives, Onion, salt, Pepper, Sugar Olive Oil and then the same process as above. Excellent on Bruscetta.

3. SAMBAL. Classic Malayan accompinament Its just Red Chillies and Salt blended together. Simple and again will keep for months in the fridge.

Have you ever thought of 'Hot Smoking' them ???
Mel Darke
KG Regular

Molly - or anyone do you still have the recipe please? We're spending Christmas with two chilli mad friends and I think it would make an ideal pressie for them.
g1ggles
KG Regular

Is it possible that some one could give me the recipe for this please?
I love chillies and vodka so both together would be very nice.
This is my first post on this site and i am not sure how to look for old posts :? so any help would be very helpful :wink:
It is avery good site .

Thanks
g1ggles

trying to be green as possible
MrsL
KG Regular

I have a recipe for chilli wine I'd be happy to pass on, but be warned, it's not for the faint of heart.................
g1ggles
KG Regular

Please could i have that recipe i am collecting chilli recipes and i dont have one for wine
MrsL
KG Regular

This is a made up recipe, based very loosely on something I found on the net a while back. It's quite potent, and very chilli - hot, so go easy, and drink out of tot glasses.

9 fresh chillies - any type, any colour, any variety; put the chillies into a blender with 1/2 pint or so of warm water and whizz up. When done, pour into brewing vessel ****CAUTION*** - do not breathe in the fumes, or get in your eyes, etc.

Add 1 gallon of warm water, 2 1/2lbs sugar, 2 teabags, handful of dried fruit of some persuasion, one sliced lemon; when cooled to blood heat, add in and stir 1 tbsp yeast. Cover tightly, then leave for 5 - 6 days; strain into a demi-john and frement out. Bottle and label. Later on, give it to unsuspecting frinds and people you don't like........
bottomleypots
KG Regular

I have just made Chantal's Chilli Jelly for the third year running -15 jars of it so far and more to come, its the best!!!
Just search 'chilli jelly' in previous posts for the recipe-its adictive believe me, fantastic with Welsh rarebit or with fish....... :D
"An hour digging is better than two hours in the Gym"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic