Blackcurrant ideas please!

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jude
KG Regular

I've still got quite a few blackcurrants in the freezer and would appreciate any ideas on what to do with them. No-one in the house particularly likes jam. Has anyone got a recipe for a cordial type drink?
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I've made this and it's the closest to Ribena I've ever tasted.

2lb blackcurrents
1 pint water

Put both in a big bowl. Mash the blackcurrants.
Cover with a clean cloth.
Leave 2-3 days in a cool, dark place.
Place the bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, let the mixture warm through and stir well to release the juices.
Strain through a muslin cloth.
Measure the liquid and add 12 oz sugar for 1 pint liquid. Heat v. gently to dissolve the sugar.
Pour the liquid into bottles.
Keeps 6 weeks in the fridge or can be frozen.
Jude
KG Regular

Thanks Jenny, that sounds good, I'll try it after Xmas when I've got time and space!
Beccy

Cassis

Blackcurrants
Spirit (brandy, gin, whatever really, they all taste good))
Sugar

Take a large jar, fill to around two-thirds with blackcurrants, top up with spirit and leave for at least a month. Strain, add sugar to taste.

Wonderful with white wine or champagne for a Kir or Kir Royale, but more useful to perk up a fruit salad or drizzled over vanilla ice-cream for an emergency posh pudding.

Add best of all you do virtually nothing, it just quietly matures all by itself. And if you can't get to it after a month it will go on maturing until you can get to it. Although I do find that the longer you leave it the more sugar you need. I have left it for up to a year. And if you need the freezer space .now just throw the berries into the jar still frozen, works fine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic