Beetroot

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I have just discovered this website while sitting in the Dr's waiting room this evening. Numerous recipes well worth investigating together with lots of info.

http://www.lovebeetroot.co.uk/

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

Pity the doctor hadn't attached his cure for the laxative effects of this vegetable !!
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you for sharing this Beryl, I intend to try the risotto recipe but with vegetable instead of chicken stock - I don't eat meat..
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

It's a very good diuretic to Primrose. I'm never without a dish of cooked beetroot in the summer, left in the kitchen to snack on, I'm a terrible picker.

NB I've not had time yet to go through all the recipes yet but the risotto does sounds good.

Beryl.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Thanks for the link Beryl.

The other week I noticed our Tescos had started doing a beetroot and horseradish dip. Tried it and it tasted promising (though very mild on the horseradish side).

So I tried making our own (using commercial horseradish) and it came out much more purple and firey. And very nice. So I recommend this to anyone who's interested.

Just blend some beetroot (I use pre-cooked lightly vinegared, but homegrown would be even better) plus horseradish, plus some mayonaise and a little olive oil (see how you like the consistency and adjust accordingly).
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Sounds good Colin, found a reduced horseradish that was sprouting in our local supermarket for about 20p - I planted it and its going great guns ! Will try that recipe next year.
i like the golden beet too the leaves make a lovely spinach type greens so nothing is wasted.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

I love beeteroot juce too Superman03, to any one trying it for the first time be warned it is very powerful stuff.

Beryl.
glallotments
KG Regular

Beryl wrote:I love beeteroot juce too Superman03, to any one trying it for the first time be warned it is very powerful stuff.

Beryl.

A friend ended up visiting the doctor in a panic due to one of it's side effects.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The Co-op have a recipe for beetroot and goat cheese tart in their Christmas magazine and I'm going to cook it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it tastes.

Talking about beetroot, I've grown Cook's Delight and Chioggia this year for a change and wasn't very impressed with either. The Cook'sDelight didn't form any roots at all, but the foliage was a nice colour, and I found the Chioggia rather a bland flavour. I'm going back to Boltardy and Detroit next year, they are both a good colour and flavour and stay nice and tender even when quite large.

I've just had a cheese and Chioggia beetroot sandwich for lunch and livened the beetroot up with a bit of balsamic vinegar.
Elaine
KG Regular

Glallotments, I had a hypochondriac colleague a few years ago, who used to off load her health worries onto me. She had a similar panicky moment to your friend...the look on her face was priceless when I asked her if she had eaten any beetroot. She had but didn't really believe me until she put it to the test, by waiting several days then eating some more beetroot!
Happy with my lot
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The pink wee syndrome is quite a surprise if you've not noticed it before, along with the castrol GTX smelling wee when you've eaten asparagus, although I don't think that affects everyone. Throw in a few Jerusalem fartichokes and you'll have the full set!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The beetroot and goat's cheese tart was very good, so here's the recipe:

BEETROOT & GOAT'S CHEESE TART

Pastry
115g butter
225g plain flour
1 egg
water to mix

Filling
2 onions peeled and finely sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp brown sugar (I only used 1 tsp)
2 tsp red wine vinegar
250g C0-op natural cooked beetroot, grated
150ml creme fraiche
2 eggs
2 x 65g co-op goat's cheese (I used a bit less)
fresh thyme (optional)

Preheat oven to 180C
Make pastry, wrap in cling film and chill in fridge for 10 mins
Roll out and line flan tin. Prick with fork and blind bake for 10 mins, remove foil and whatever you've weighted it down with and cook for 5 more mins.
Meanwhile gently soften onions in the oil for 10 mins, add sugar and vinegar, and beetroot and season with freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 10 more mins.

Mix together creme fraiche and eggs and stir well.

Pour egg mixture into pastry case, top with the beetroot mixture and arrange the sliced goat's cheese on top.

Bake for about 25 minutes until risen and the cheese golden and finish with a sprinkle of thyme to serve.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Ahhhhhh-thank you for reminding me.

I lifted my beetroot ages ago, following instruction from (I forgot) I cut most of the tops off and laid-and-stacked the beetroot in compost.

Just had a quick look and it's been growing, I wonder if it's gone woody. Better get some out and cook it.

Thanks for the website address.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Nigel did a beetroot & chocolate cake tonight..had me salivating - that could have been the clotted cream on it though :lol: Actually seen it in cookbooks before but seeing it real (& not too red) was good.

Westi
Westi
ken
KG Regular

I'm late coming in on this thread, but can add a few thoughts...

Re the beetroot and goats cheese tart, these are two ingredients that work well together. I once had a stack of alternate cooked beetroot slices and melting goats cheese as a starter in a posh restaurant.

Beetroot and hummus is one of our favourite sandwich fillings. And we recently tried a Hugh F-W River cottage recipe for beetroot hummus, made with cooked beetroot, tahini, olive oil, touch of salt and a bit of cumin which was very good. (Also came across a recipe recently for a pea hummus - peas, tahini, olive oil, salt. The recipe said to put the raw peas in a blender, but we found we had to par-boil them and then mash them with a fork before we could get the hummus texture. Even fully cooking them might be a better idea.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic