Pumkin cookies

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

325 degrees F Bake 15 to 18 minutes...

Pumpkin cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil or corn oil or other flavorless oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup of chopped nuts.
After mixing, place a small amount with an ice cream scoop...place in pan at two inches apart...
Makes about 18 cookies...

I have just made these using diced pumpkin gentley cooked in a very little water and mashed to a puree.
Very moreish.

Beryl.
The Mouse
KG Regular

Thanks for the recipe, Beryl. We are going to cut into our first pumpkin tomorrow. My son is going to make some soup, but that will only use up about a quarter of it, so I will have plenty left to try those cookies.

My mouth is already watering at the thought. :D
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Beryl
KG Regular

Forgot to say don't expect them to be crisp like a biscuit. More soft and cakelike. Can be spread with cream cheese.
Freezes well without the cream cheese.

Beryl.
The Mouse
KG Regular

Beryl wrote:Forgot to say don't expect them to be crisp like a biscuit. More soft and cakelike. Can be spread with cream cheese.
Freezes well without the cream cheese.

Beryl.

I made some yesterday, and was about to ask you about that - as you say, not crisp. But very nice!!!

Having butchered the first pumpkin yesterday, I also made some pumpkin bread - its name is a bit misleading, as it is a cake really. That is very nice too.
Then there was the pumpkin soup made by my son.
And pumpkin seeds, boiled then roasted as a snack. Not very successful, that one. The husks are supposed to be edible prepared like that, but although they tasted great when they first went in the mouth, some of the husks were still quite hard to eat!

There is still a chunk of unprocessed pumpkin on the kitchen worktop, and I have a feeling that it will be going in the bin - I have realised that you really can get too much of a good thing!!!
Mark Twain
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, I have a feeling the rest of mine will be composted. I only grew them a fun thing this year but think I will stick to the butternut in future.
Not tried soup yet so I may do that but as a vegetable - noooooooooo.

Beryl.
The Mouse
KG Regular

Beryl wrote: I only grew them a fun thing this year

Me too - I usually grow something that I haven't grown before each year, and this year it was pumpkin!

Personally, I am not too keen on the soup (but don't tell my son!).

I have another five pumpkins from the same plant still waiting in the wings, all weighing around 13lb!!!
As the cake and the biscuits were very nice, I will probably cook and freeze as much as I can for making more of those over winter. Actually, if I kept it all, I would probably have enough to last me several years! :lol:
Mark Twain
peter
KG Regular

Try Crown Prince squash instead. :) :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Beryl
KG Regular

Now you tell me Peter, just when I've put my seed order in.
Will look out for it though - thanks.
Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

If you google pumpkin there are loads of things to do with it.
I make the standard soup, a roasted pumpkin soup and one spiced up with thai spices and coconut milk, pumpkin scones and curries etc. It is interchangeable with sweet potato in recipes. I even grate it into cottage pies and mince dishes when I can't get the carrots out of the ground. The one thing I can't abide is pumpkin pie however - far too sweet, but I have made it with a meringue topping and taken it to parties.

A good website is taste.com.au to get started with ideas as us Aussie were raised on the stuff and with the multicultural mix there now other nationalities have introduced more exciting ways to serve it. For me it has to be Crown Prince or Queensland Blue to get the right amount of sweetness to char the edges and the nice orange colour.

Westi
Westi
pongeroon
KG Regular

Pum[pkin cookies sound good :D .

My family celebrate Thanksgiving every year, and that is our big family get-together, rather than Christmas. This year, three of us made pumpkin pie, and each one was very different. Most of us like it, luckily!

I got a bit carried away and decided to use all the pumpkin for pies, and ended up with four... :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic