Apples, apples, apples

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

israfil2010
KG Regular

Yes! It is possible to keep apple in the freeze by slicing.
Terryms
KG Regular

Agree with the posts about slicing apples, love doing that!
Cassy0110
KG Regular

Wellie wrote:I have a GORGEOUS book that I gave to Les Piglets as a prezzie, and I think I shall be getting it for you too !!

APPLES.

Any apples suitable for cooking can be frozen. Select fruit free from bruises or other damage. Avoid any with wrinkled or discoloured skin.

To prepare:
Peel, core, slice and place in a bowl of water with 15ml lemon juice added to prevent browning.

To freeze:
DRY-FREEZING, unsweetened: Drain and blanch in boiling water for 1 min. Drain, plunge immediately in a bowl of iced water to cool, then drain again and pat dry on kitchen paper. Pack into rigid containers or polythene bags. Remove the air. Seal, label and freeze.
Storage time: 9 months.
DRY-FREEZING, sweetened: Drain and blanch in boiling water for 1 min. Drain, plunge immediately in a bowl of iced water to cool, then drain again and pat dry on kitchen paper. Mix with caster (superfine) sugar, using 100g to 450g fruit. Pack into rigid containers or polythene bags. Remove the air. Seal, label and freeze.
Storage Time: 10 months.

PUREE-FREEZING: Stew the fruit in a pan with just enough water to cover the base, until pulpy. Sweeten to taste. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth, puree in a blender or food processor or rub it through a sieve (strainer). Leave to cool. Place in polythene bags, remover the air, seal, label and freeze.
Storae Time: 12 months.

SYRUP-FREEZING:
Make a light syrup: for every 450g fruit, dissolve 100g granulated sugar in 300ml boiling water. Allow to cool. Prepare the apples, place in rigid containers and pour just enough syrup over to cover. Cover, seal, label and freeze. Alternatively, poach the apple slices in the syrup for 2-3 minutes until just tender but still holding their shape, then cool, pack and store as before.
Storage Time: 12 months

TO THAW AND SERVE:
Allow to defrost at room temperature for 2 hours before use. Apple puree can be reheated from frozen for apple sauce.

Hope of some use for you !

oh thanks a lot!
Primrose
KG Regular

This started as a very old post but most autumns I am offered apples by a neighbour and sometimes because of a surfeit I have problems wondering how best to make use of this resource, so thank you everybody for flagging up again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic