Anyone interested in these recipes?

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

judyk
KG Regular

I have some recipes for preserves and wines using apples, plums, damsons, quinces, sloes, greengages, blackberries, elderberries and bergamot oranges.
I used to sell the results for charity at my workplace and they were all popular, and the ones listed below are the best of the bunch. I know that top fruit isn't easy to find room for on a plot, but if anyone is interested anyway, I'll post them. Specifically, they are:

Bramley apple butter

Bramley, damson & blackberry jelly

Damson jam with cardamom

Quince jelly

Reine Claude greengage jam

Spiced apple jelly

Spiced damson chutney

Bergamot orange marmalade (requires some online shopping)

Damson wine

Elderberry wine (with variation for port-style wine)

A good sloe gin (requires patience)

Let me know if you're interested in any particular one(s) and I'll put them up.
Westi
KG Regular

Liking the sound of the spiced apple jelly. I have an apple overload & there are only so many pies, purees & dorset apple cakes that you can make. I bought a jelly at a food fest a few years ago with little flakes of chilli & some black seeds (maybe Nigella), anyway it was lovely with just enough chilli to warm but not overwhelm. As I'm a grown up now & have more patience I won't squeeze the bag. Actually I have a nice harvest of red flesh apples as well - now they could shake it up a bit!

Thanks judyk!
Westi
judyk
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Liking the sound of the spiced apple jelly. I have an apple overload & there are only so many pies, purees & dorset apple cakes that you can make. I bought a jelly at a food fest a few years ago with little flakes of chilli & some black seeds (maybe Nigella), anyway it was lovely with just enough chilli to warm but not overwhelm. As I'm a grown up now & have more patience I won't squeeze the bag. Actually I have a nice harvest of red flesh apples as well - now they could shake it up a bit!

Thanks judyk!

Hi Westi,

recipe posted. I appreciate that you're an experienced preserver, but I've laid it out so that beginners can (hopefully) follow it as well, if anyone new to jam or jelly making fancies a try. No chillies in it I'm afraid, but I'm sure you could adapt it! The red-flesh apples sound interesting. If you make it, let me know how it turns out.
Linadavid
KG Regular

I'll must try this.
Westi
KG Regular

Forgot to feed back to you judy. I made this (& sneakily put some chilli in 1/2) & bottled them up in baby small kilner jars. I took some in to work for a couple of mates with the proviso they kept it quiet as others were receiving some in a little hamper with other stuff. Well I have none left, my mates wanted (& paid for) some for their family presents & the chilli worked well, not too much just a warmth not a blast. They wanted even more but they just got the recipe. BTW one mate's son is a chef in a Michelin starred place in London & he was taking the recipe back to his work to see if they could get it onto one of their autumn dishes. I did call it Judy's recipe so you never know it could be on a posh menu - shame about C19 but if they did use it, it was for the 1,000's of meals they made for those in lock in & the homeless. Although i doubt that, if they did make it will be maturing in some dark, perfectly chilled place so maybe next year - or maybe the main man there didn't like it? I'll try to find out when I see Di next.
Westi
judyk
KG Regular

Woo-hoo! Fame at last! Thanks for the feedback, Westi. But as the chilli has given it an extra appeal, I think it would only be fair to have it called Westi & Judy's recipe when the posh London place puts it on the menu! Seriously, I'm well pleased to know that it worked well for you and that it was so much appreciated by your mates. If the restaurant does use it for boxes and meals for the vulnerable and homeless, that would make me very happy - a nice ingredient to liven up the practical baked beans and soup.
When I was made redundant in 2017 I did intend to do what I'd always wanted to do which was to start a small preserves business, but a house move (leaving my fruit trees behind) and a frantic 1-year recall by my employer put a stop to that, and I don't do much preserving now. Having said that I've got a couple of Kilner jars of marmalade gin coming along that should be ready just after Christmas. Nice and easy to make so I'm hoping it's going to be good!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic