Bread flour

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

Bread flour

Postby vivienz » Mon May 04, 2020 10:12 pm

I know that it can be tricky to get hold of white bread flour at the moment. Shipton Mill have re-commenced deliveries of their (very good) flour. It can be bought by the bag or by the sack, and they deliver. They release delivery slots each day according to availability. If they are available, you email them and they send you a link to put in your order. It can be a bit pot luck as to whether you find a time with slots available, but if you do, you can order a decent range and decent quantities if you need to stock up.
1 x
Stephen
KG Regular

Re: Bread flour

Postby Stephen » Mon May 04, 2020 10:30 pm

What I have failed to buy in store is yeast.
0 x
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
vivienz
KG Regular

Postby vivienz » Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 pm

Have you tried sourdough, Stephen? It's not to everyone's taste, I know, but I love the stuff. Also, as a compromise, you can do a thing called a poolish, which is half sourdough starter and a pinch of yeast. You get the best of both worlds of each type of yeast, but it also makes regular yeast go much further. Typically, you only need 3g (half a sachet) for a standard large loaf.
1 x
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Postby Tony Hague » Mon May 04, 2020 11:42 pm

I just found bread flour in Morrisons. Only in 16kg sacks though. Now I need to bake ~30 loaves. With one packet of yeast - I may have to breed my own !
0 x
Stephen
KG Regular

Postby Stephen » Tue May 05, 2020 9:15 am

Vivienz - I like sourdough bread but I'm not confident of my ability to keep my starter going.
0 x
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
vivienz
KG Regular

Postby vivienz » Tue May 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Stephen wrote:Vivienz - I like sourdough bread but I'm not confident of my ability to keep my starter going.

You can make a batch and then freeze it rather than give up permanent fridge space to it. I call mine Boris and it lives on the top shelf of my fridge. It glares at me balefully if I don't feed it once a week. :shock:
1 x
vivienz
KG Regular

Postby vivienz » Tue May 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Tony Hague wrote:I just found bread flour in Morrisons. Only in 16kg sacks though. Now I need to bake ~30 loaves. With one packet of yeast - I may have to breed my own !

Sourdough is exactly that. There are plenty of tutorials on the net, but it's basically mixing some flour and water and doing the same for a few days until it starts to bubble from the wild yeast. It's not good in bread machines as it's a slower rise, but easy and super tasty.
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Tue May 05, 2020 10:56 pm

I quite like sourdough but it it's not a keeper in the bread bin & goes hard quickly! I can't be bothered with a starter when the big supermarkets sell it ready & tasty & sliced!
0 x
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Postby tigerburnie » Thu May 07, 2020 9:22 am

Latest wheeze is to blitz up porridge oats and make your own flour…….we've not tried it yet, but SWMBO is planning an assault on my breakfast later...…………………...
2 x
Been gardening for over 60 years and still learning.
vivienz
KG Regular

Postby vivienz » Thu May 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Well, I use oatmeal in my soda bread/wheaten bread recipe, and that's really nice. You never know for sure how anything will be until you try it - a bit like gardening, really.
0 x

Return to “Readers Recipes”