Onion jam

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

We have lots of onions which we are not likely to use before the overwintering ones are ready in June, particularly some huge ones.

Can somebody give me a good recipe for onion jam, to use like a chutney?
Chantal
KG Regular

My favourite is this one. You need a lot of onions for very few jars as it really does reduce down.

This is wonderful with cheeses and cheese dishes, quiches and savoury pies, hamburgers, sausages, roast meats, lentil roast, and so much more..... The flavours develop the longer you keep it, so make ahead to get the sweetest mellow taste. This jam (or "confiture" if you want to be posh) keeps well in sealed sterilised jars and also makes a great gift at Christmas time. The recipe came from the December 2003 edition of the Sainsburys Magazine, but you don't need to wait for Christmas to make this!

120ml sunflower oil (or groundnut oil)
700g red onions, very finely sliced
175g caster sugar
150ml sherry wine vinegar
2 tablespoons grenadine, cordial
250ml red wine
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1. Heat the oil in a wide shallow pan, then add the onions, sugar and salt and pepper: cook very gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated.

2. Add the sherry vinegar, grenadine and red wine: continue to cook, uncovered, at a gentle simmer for a further 30 minutes, stirring regularly until it reaches the consistency of jam.
3. Allow to cool before decanting and sealing in sterilised jars.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

Thank your, Chantal, that sounds delicious and just what I wanted. Just one problem: ours are white onions, not red (I should have said that in my query)! It would presumably affect the colour but what about the taste?
Chantal
KG Regular

I don't know Monika 'cos I've only done it with red ones. They do lose a lot of colour when being cooked though so it's not as red as you'd expect.

You could try this one which is a red or white recipe

Onion Marmalade

6 large onions, thinly sliced
675ml sherry or red wine vinegar
750g sugar
2-4 bay leaves
20 black peppercorns, crushed.

Place all the ingredients in a heavy bottomed pot over a low heat. Simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated and the onions are translucent. Place in warmed glass jars, cool and refrigerate.

Will keep 4-6 months.

:D
Chantal

Monika
KG Regular

Thanks again, Chantal. I think I will try the Sainsbury recipe first and see how it turns out with white onions. Will let you know how it goes!
Granny
KG Regular

What does grenadine taste like and is it essential for the recipe? Any suggestions for a substitute?
-------------------
Granny
Chantal
KG Regular

It's like nothing else I've tried and is very nice :D I get it from my sister's restaurant so you may be able to buy exactly what you need at a local hostelry rather than buying a whole bottle.

Whether it's essential I don't know as I've not tried the receipe without it, sorry.
Chantal

Monika
KG Regular

Hello, Chantal,
This afternoon I made the onion jam according to the Sainsbury recipe you recommended and it turned out just as I was hoping it would. I used four large WHITE onions but all the other ingredients were according to the recipe, and it tastes really good. Many thanks again! You were right, though, about the small amount it makes, so I will repeat the process because I still have plenty of sherry vinegar and grenadine left.
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm glad it worked for you Monika. I have to admit being shocked at how little it did make from all the chopping etc, but it's well worth it.

Enjoy :wink:
Chantal

Granny
KG Regular

And I meant to say, then forgot, that I made it to go with baked ham on Boxing Day and it was fabulous - the whole family liked it, so that just goes to show!! Thanks a lot.
--------------
Granny
jamesrobartson
KG Regular

Thank you chantal :) for telling method of making jam.
i will try it also today.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I am also giving it a try, thanks for all the comments I think i will double the recipe and trust your judgement on taste. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic