Slow Cookers

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lizzie
KG Regular

I'm thinking of getting one quite soon so does anyone have any advice on a good model to get please? I want a good one with a removeable stock pot

Thanks peeps
Lots of love

Lizzie
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie

I bought my first-ever slow cooker a few months ago, and decided to start with a cheap one, because I wasn't really sure how much I would use it. I went for the Cookworks Signature (3.5l) from Argos. It's shown in the catalogue as £19.96, but it was only about half that price when I got it.
I've been delighted with it :D

I've just had a look on their website now and can't actually see the exact same thing. There's a cheaper Cookware model at around £11, and there is a bigger one (6.5l) at half price - £14.69.

I'm not usually a fan of Argos' cheap 'cookware' range, but the only slightly negative thing I would say about this slow cooker is that the lid doesn't seem to fit perfectly, but surprisingly, it is working perfectly despite that, cooking things well within the expected time.

I haven't regretted my purchase once :D :D :D
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
macmac
KG Regular

I bought mine for about £20, it's fairly basic with high-low-keep warm settings and it's brilliant.I saw a lovely one on tv the other day with a glass bowl 'don't know if there was any culinary benefit but it looked fab.I think pricewise you need to look at what you will use it for.If you want to use it for batch cooking then take a close look at the capacity,having more than one heat setting is ,I find very useful.I cook beetroot in mine as well as the usual braised meats etc.I bought my daughter one for the same price and hers is also good so I don't think what you pay is necessarily an indication of how well it performs
sanity is overrated
Elaine
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie. I used to have a Tower slow cooker called a Crockpot (now now........ :lol: ) and it was brilliant. It gave up the ghost after 16 years and last year, I bought a cheap one (£20) to replace it. It's got Exclusiv on the side. I don't like it at all.
Despite having high and low settings, there doesn't seem to be any difference in them and it gets extremely hot , even on low. The liquid actually bubbles.....I came home from work to find the liquid had reduced by almost half. My old one never did this and I always had excellent results, it was a marvellous bit of kit.

I am going to invest in another one as they are a must. I haven't decided on which one yet, but it will definitely be a named brand which I have heard of. (and has a manufacturers guarantee)

Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Franksmum
KG Regular

Ours is a Prestige - an oval shaped one so it's great for doing pot roasts

Think it was about £40ish from Amazon
Thanet
KG Regular

I've had slow cookers for years. (tip - don't drop them ... they tend not to work afterwards)

The lid doesn't need to be a tight fit as the condensation will trinkle down the dome lid and seal the gap. It is not a problem.

Prepare the ingredients the night before. Everything roughtly the same size, veg at the bottom meat on top. Cover with liquid (water, sauce etc)

In the morning turn on low, go to work, all is ready when you come home... and the house smells great as you open the door.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic