Preserving Pan

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

Can anybody advise me on where The Grock and I can purchase a good quality preserving pan please.

We've looked all over but can't find one or a shop that knows what the hell we're talking about as they try to palm us off with a stock pot.

Ta
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chez
KG Regular

Me too!! I did find one on www.deliaonline.co.uk, - just went in to give you the link Grock, and I can't find any preserving pans there now! I wish I had bought it at the time. Anyway, you may wish to have a scout around yourself, in the event I am having a 'man look' (when I am not one).

I am trying to recall the brand name and if it comes to me, I will let you know.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie

My partner bought me the most fabulous pan for Christmas. It came from Abraxus which is based in Rugby and Weedon, but they have a website http://www.heartoftheshires.co.uk/abraxas/cookshop.htm so I'm sure they'll be able to help you. The make of mine is Judge, it's a stainless stell maslin pan for jam and preserve making and holds 15 pints.

Chantal :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Chez
KG Regular

Or Lizzie even (sorry!)
Tigger
KG Regular

There are some - I'll try and get you some references when I'm out on one of my retail therapy sessions.

I've got a splendid preserving pan but I bought it in France.
Chez
KG Regular

Found the link from Delia. There are four listed pans listed here, at varying prices.

http://www.headcook.co.uk/advanced_sear ... Field.y=14
valmarg

I thought www.lakelandlimited.co.uk had everything a cook needed. I have certainly seen preserving pans in their catalogue.

valmarg
Paula

I bought one from www.headcook.co.uk, it arrived the next day and is fab- I love it :wink:
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

liz,beat u 2 it,got one 2day from george henry lees £39 sqwids,we can now do our own brewing 2gether.it will just be like the 2 fat ladies. 8)
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
lizzie
KG Regular

Or two tarts with hearts!!!!!!

Boom boom!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Paula - which one did you buy? The link in my posting is for Head Cook too and lists their four (three, standard) pans so you can check if that helps.

I am currently looking at either the Kitchen Craft (s/steel) or the Mermaid (aluminium). Or the Lakeland one (thanks, Valmarg). Not sure whether to go for aluminium or stainless steel, either.
Beccy
KG Regular

I'd definitely go for stainless steel. Aluminium oxide reacts with acid stuff. I understand that the suggested Alziemers risk has been debunked, but it will still affect the colour and flavour of you preserve somewhat. The aluminium pan would normally have a coating of aluminium oxide and be gray. If you cook acid stuff it will go silver because the aluminium oxide has been stripped off into your food.

This is the voice of bitter experience speaking! Although I have to admit that putting a teatowel to boil and forgetting about it so that it boiled dry and burnt made the aluminium even brighter.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

chez (dont) go 4 the ali pan, becky is right, deffo s,steel.
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
pigletwillie
KG Regular

The aluminium residues given off by aluminium pans can over time help to bring on Alzheimers disease according to research my wife dug up (she works in the mental health field). :shock: Even if this has been debunked it cannot do your body any favours.

So, stainless steel it is then.

David
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic