Asparagus ends

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Don't throw away those thick tougher ends of asparagus which you would normally cut off and throw away before cooking.
Chop them finely then simmer in a pint of chicken stock for about 25 minutes. Whizz with a stick blender and you will have some delicious asparagus soup which freezes beautifully if not needed immediately.
macmac
KG Regular

Thanks for that tip Primrose delicious.A friend down the lottie suggested throwing in a handful of frozen peas near the end of cooking more for colour and texture than flavour it was yum and the better half is always impressed when i turn out a dish that costs only pennies.(more money left to spend on koi food....) :D
sanity is overrated
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

macmac wrote:Thanks for that tip Primrose delicious.A friend down the lottie suggested throwing in a handful of frozen peas near the end of cooking more for colour and texture than flavour it was yum and the better half is always impressed when i turn out a dish that costs only pennies.(more money left to spend on koi food....) :D

Perhaps they could eat some of the asparagus. Or does it make their water smell funny?
macmac
KG Regular

have to try that Felix the better half has already sown extra sweetcorn this year as they love it,though at the moment we've got a white foam under the waterfall we think might be increased feeding and i've posted on a koi forum but the the members are not half as active as this splendid forum so no replies yet ,i'd better hold off the asparagus for now :lol: :lol: :lol:
sanity is overrated
Franksmum
KG Regular

Yes we do that but sieve the woody bits out, then freeze it. When defrosted we add soaked & boiled split green peas - makes a delish hearty but not heavy soup.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic