Sharpening knives

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

WestHamRon
KG Regular

Can anyone explain why every time I try to sharpen my knife using a steel I make it even more blunt?
I draw the blade down the steel at a 20 degree angle as most online searches have suggested. Is it because I'm left-handed?
Granny
KG Regular

So glad you asked this question WHR, I have exactly the same problem - and I'm left-handed. I just thought it was me being inept.
---------------------
Granny
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Both,
If you have a friendly Butcher ask him to show you how. I think that 20 degrees is too shallow and the strokes must be at all times firm.
I now use a diamond sharpener and my knives are of very good quality steel and are too sharp if anything. I have a Prestige vegetable knife that you simple cannot sharpen because it is made of crap quality steel.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

Does this help?
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-sha ... hen-knives
It's how I sharpen my knives and I was shown by a bloke who worked in the local abbatoir. :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

You also need to have a good steel in the first place and they don't last forever. Much as it pains me to admit this, whilst my James Martin Stellar knives are great (as are the saucepans and the various other bits of kit - please don't ask how many I have) the steel is useless and we have written to the manufacturers to tell them so.

There are some diamond steels available and they are really good. We've swapped to one of these. Axminster Tools sell a really good one.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Thank you all for your advice.
I'm really confused, I have scraped my knife down a brick wall and can feel it's sharp afterwards. Trying to hone the edge on my steel has completely the opposite effect. Ihave posted this on two other forums and have been given conflicting advice: firm strokes/ stroke the steel ?
It seems some people can sharpen knives, others can't. I shall have to try and find a friendly chef.This will be not too difficult as I deliver booze to restaurants,but if i get stopped in my van with an eight inch kitchen knife on board, I don't relish the conversation with Plod ! :lol:
PAULW
KG Regular

WHR
As a slaughterman/knackerman/butcher, 1 you do not sharpen a knife on a steel you put an edge on it, if you have a blunt knife you can steel till kingdom come and you will never sharpen it, you have to put the knife on a stone first to sharpen it then onto a steel when the blade goes dull.
Gilly C
KG Regular

I bought a sharpener from lakeland works well made Chantry and the sharpening bit can be replaced £27 about £7 for new bit hth
Geoff
KG Regular

Using a strip of 1" wide emery, that you can buy on a roll, as a strop on a hook on the back of a door works well.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi

I got myself one of those water sharpeners and it is great. Two
wheels in a little holder that you fill with water and pull the
knives through.
Wouldn't have except it was recommended for the posh knives
I got for my birthday a couple of years ago but it has been
worth its weight in gold. Just couldn't get to grips with a steel.

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Westi,
I feel that you should be reported to the "Cruelty to Knives Police" :wink:
JB.
Elderflower
KG Regular

When I was little I remember my dad sharpening the carving knife on the doorstep. Ee, haven`t thought about that for many a year.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

I have stumbled upon the solution. Sharpen the knife backwards !
Instead of the blade facing the way you are moving the knife, have the edge to be sharpened facing away from the downstroke, I got the idea watching a chef use a whetstone. 8)
robo
KG Regular

A double sided India oil stone is what’s needed if you can get one most theses days are carburundome sorry about the spelling ,drop of oil on the stone and away you go the rough side for putting an edge on the steel the smooth side for finishing the job I’ve still got mine after 55 years
Colin2016
KG Regular

I use a Andrew James Electric Knife Sharpener for sharpening knives and AnySharp Knife Sharpener for honing them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic