Stockli dryer

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Angi
KG Regular

My brother and his wife bought us a stockli dryer for Christmas (lovely people). Does anyone have any tips, ideas besides the stuff that comes in the handbook? I've read somewhere about making your own vegetable 'crisps' in them and wondered if anyone had tried these, and with what vegetables; also what fruit have people dried in theirs? I know you can do apples, pears and bananas, but what about soft fruit? Has anyone tried strawberries, blueberries or currants? Any info would be most welcome.
PAULW
KG Regular

Hi Angie
I have a dehydrator I use it very successfully to dry my raspberries for my breakfast cereal and have made "leathers" fruit puree dried
Angi
KG Regular

Yummy, fruit leathers. I've never made them. Do you have any recipes?
PAULW
KG Regular

I usually just cook the raspberries add an apple for the pectin, seive the raspberries ( pain in the bum) and add sugar to taste. Just make sure it is not to runny as it takes longer to dry
Angi
KG Regular

Sounds yummy. I will definitely try some when my raspberries ripen.
Tigger
KG Regular

Most of the fruit leather you can buy in this country comes from the Okanagan Valley in Canada. If you 'Google' fruit leather, you'll find plenty of Canadian and American recipes.
PAULW
KG Regular

You could try an apple leather while you are waiting, I have Mary Bells complete dehydrator cookbook from Amazon which is much better than the book that comes with the machine.
Angi
KG Regular

Ah yes, someone else mentioned that book to me. I will have to have a look at it, and also try googling fruit leather. Thanks everyone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic