Cooking for large groups..

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

VeggieAli
KG Regular

Apologies for posting here, I couldn't think who else might be able to help!

I have to cook for 25 hockey players on a regular basis (teas after matches). Does anyone have any good large group recipes?

Things that can be made the day before and reheated in about 40 minutes - 1 hour.

I have come up with shepherds pie and lasagne....can anyone else help?

Ali
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear VeggieAli, i have been waiting a long time to venture into cooking tips, and now i have my chance. :)
What about a nice stew and dumplings with good chunks of crusty bread.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
VeggieAli
KG Regular

Thanks - do you have, or can point me in the right directions for recipes?

I should never have married a hockey team captain!!
Chantal
KG Regular

What about chilli con carne or curry and rice?

You could do a lot worse than go to

http://www.deliaonline.com/ for recipes. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
VeggieAli
KG Regular

THanks - everyone is son helpful here!
Gilly C
KG Regular

I have a Thai chicken recipe which is easy and good to eat has peanut butter in though so as long as you have no nut allergies give me a shout if you want the recipe, I often cook as releif in the outdoor centre my oh runs so I will have a think :)
VeggieAli
KG Regular

That would be great - can you post the recipe on here?

Let me know if you think of any more!
Tigger
KG Regular

To add to the previous suggestions, you could pre-make a selection of fillings (chilli, spicy beans, ratatouille, curry) and then serve them with baked potatoes.

There's a fair few soup recipes on here too - just do a search. Otherwise use a base of onions, garlic if liked, olive oil and butter. Then add a mixture of veg (mushrooms and mustard; spinach and nutmeg; carrot, orange and coriander; potato and leek; mixed veg, etc) and stock. The better the stock, the tastier the soup.

You can then puree it or leave it chunky. Add cream. top with chees. All sorts! Even better if it's served with some good bread.

Or...pasta bake; sausage casserole; homemade pie, cassoulet.....We'll find you something different for each match!
Stephie
KG Regular

Stew everytime! You can then give them plenty of veg and meat, and vary it everytime you make it so it doesn't get boring. I recommend beef stew personally, let me know if you want the recipe :)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

chilli and curry actually taste better after reheating, gives the flavours time to mingle, try putting a few squares of dark chocolate in the chilli, to give it an extra something that will have folk clamouring for the recipe.
For hot days try French bread pizzas, make the tomato sauce in advance, spread on the chunky slices halved through the middle, add tom sauce toppings of choice and cheese, serve with salad. just an assembly line then bake,
French bread Philli grill, mix chopped red onion bright coloured chopped peppers, and chopped tomato, herbs to taste,marinade this in balsamic vinegar and olive oil in advance, then crisp the underside of french bread sliced along it's length. spread with philadelphia top with chopped marinaded veg and grill, serve with a green salad
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
jamesrobartson
KG Regular

Hi, Veggie :)
Cooking for a crowd of hungry people? Well, i think you should try cookies like peanut butter cookies, choc mint cookies and chocolate chip cookies.
You can make these cookies in large amount easily and also in less time.

James :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic